Tyre Rotation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I have just put my Continental Travel Contact 1.75" back on the MTB.
They have rotation markings on the tyre. I put the front tyre on with the correct rotation, but the rear tyre I haven't. Is this a big deal with these tyres? By the time I was on the rear wheel I was getting a bit ratty as I always struggle getting the tyres on and off and had managed to snap one tyre lever by then. The mere thought of going through all that palava again is just too traumatising to contemplate.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
To be honest it will make bugger all difference. I currently have marathon plus on my fixed bike which has a fixed / fixed hub that I can swop the wheel around depending on what gear option I want. There has been no difference in handling in any conditions irrespective of which way the directional arrow is facing.

yashicamat

On roads, you don't need tread at all. Tread on bike road tyres is just marketing -some people will pick the tyre that looks the most technical.

Directional tread is used on other vehicles because it channels water away/kicks snow or mud off. It channels water away to prevent aquaplaning. You can't aquaplane on a bike because the tyres are too narrow.

+1 on the directional bit

The only time I can think of the tread on a road tyre being useful is if there is a bit of mud on the road. I find the treaded tyres on my tourer will grip fine still in that situation, whenas the slicks on the SS will get a bit . . . exciting.:bicycle::bicycle:

PK99

Legendary Member
Plax said:
I have just put my Continental Travel Contact 1.75" back on the MTB.
They have rotation markings on the tyre. I put the front tyre on with the correct rotation, but the rear tyre I haven't. Is this a big deal with these tyres? By the time I was on the rear wheel I was getting a bit ratty as I always struggle getting the tyres on and off and had managed to snap one tyre lever by then. The mere thought of going through all that palava again is just too traumatising to contemplate.

A fried told me he did just the same and found the tyre collected mud off road

andyhunter

nothing happens when you change rotation except grip and feeling can be different for the better or worse. When i dne british and irish nps for mtb, i had michelin and panaracers in the correct or not correct rotation to see which was best suited for the course which was down do were i was getting the best grip depending on course and terrain as the tread pattern on the tyre would be different for both ways.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Mmmmm, decisions decisions. I'll be taking it to Guatemala and Belieze in a couple of weeks where the roads aren't very good. Maybe I'll swap it over before I leave.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It's a CTC trip you're going on, IIRC? When you get there, get the wheel off, grab a random tool (something eminently unsuited to the task at hand, like a soldering iron or allen key) and look helpless. It'll be done in an instant and you won't have to mend a puncture all week!!!!
CTC types like to look knowledgeable. Just as well, what with the beards and all. The blokes are no better either.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
TheDoctor said:
CTC types like to look knowledgeable. Just as well, what with the beards and all. The blokes are no better either.

I have a beard. I am a British Cycling member. I loathe sandals. I ride a bike with no mudguards or rack. Am I making a terrible mistake?
Outlaw beardism!

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
TheDoctor said:
It's a CTC trip you're going on, IIRC? When you get there, get the wheel off, grab a random tool (something eminently unsuited to the task at hand, like a soldering iron or allen key) and look helpless. It'll be done in an instant and you won't have to mend a puncture all week!!!!

LOL, yes it's a CTC trip. I've had the list of people going and females outnumber the males which surprised me.

Top Bottom