Tyre sitting unevenly: What to do at the road side?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If the tyre isn't seating well, and I'm sure that there isn't a trapped tube, I pump it up to nearly full pressure, ride it for a mile or two to soften it up, then deflate and re-inflate. They tend to seat perfectly after that.

snorri

Legendary Member
The 'remedies' are quite well known; bit of soapy water or something similar, pump up to high psi quickly to let it pop in. But also one of the mechanics I used to work with used to literally wrestle it into place with his hands

I don't pump it up to "a high psi quickly", but pump it up a bit and go round the tyre ensuring that all looks well, then pump it up a bit more and check around he tyre again before pumping to full pressure. Are you sure the mechanic was actually wrestling the tyre and not just ensuring the tyre was correctly positioned by probing the side walls with fingers and thumbs?

Levo-Lon

Guru
When I've had troubles it's either rim tape moved or the tube getting nipped under the tyre.
Especially with my michelin pro 3's.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
If a bit of the bead is stuck stubbornly down in the well I mark the spot, deflate the tyre, and use a tyre lever to pull that bit of the bead out as if I were removing the tyre. Once it's back in and inflated I find that usually sorts it.

I'm not sure there's really much of an issue with just riding on it if you can't sort it out by the roadside?

Ajax Bay

Guru
the rims are Stans Grails, the tyres are Bontrager AW1 (28c), and yes it's with an inner.
Bear in mind these rims are 'tubeless ready' so the rim cross section is not the same as a 'normal' rim (designed for clinchers).
See this (single with diagrams) page: http://www.neugentcycling.com/TubelessRimsExplained.html
Tubeless Compatible rim (aka tubeless ready) is similar to a UST (Universal Standard Tubeless) rim in that it has very high shoulders.
This design has a different cross section to 'normal' rims designed for use with inner tubes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Can't believe this thread has got this far with only one mention of Nature's own, natural, cheap dry lubricant for sticky rubber:

TALC

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ugh, that gel would leave a mess. Talc stays on the rubber and lubricates it permanently as divers who use rubber suits will tell you. Once you've fitted the tyre you can just wipe it with a damp cloth.

Top Bottom