Tyre size: is 700c x 28 always the same?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LondonCommuter

I have a Boardman Urban Comp (2008 model) which came with Maxxis Detonator tyres. After 2 punctures this week on the front, I thought it was time to swap them for the Marathon +'s I bought shortly after buying the bike.

Both sets of tyres claim to be exactly the same size: 700c x 28 and the other sizing number is also the same.

However I found the M+s slightly bigger. Having got one bead in the other bead seemed to floppy to stick into the rim and it looked like even if I got it on, that inflating the tube would just blow it off. Comparing the tyres side by side off the wheel the M+s definitely seemed slightly bigger. So I gave up.

Anyone else have similar problems

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
yep. All tyres seem to be a bit different. Have you tried pumping it up?
They mostly sort themselves out when the inner is pumped up

simoncc

Tyre sizes are like clothes sizes. They are different for each manufacturer. I find Continental 700 x 28 tyres quite fat and they don't have enough clearance on my audax bike. Other brands do.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I've only just fitted the Marathon pluses to my SCR3 and had pretty much exactly the same problem.

In fact, i couldn't do it single handed as I couldn't get the tyre to seat all the way round as it just kept popping out and had to get the Wife to help :biggrin:

Now they're on and inflated they seem fine although I really hope they're as p*****re resistant as their reputation as I'm never going to be able to replace one on my own!

I had the same feeling about my M+ when trying to fit them - they are much more rigid than any other tyre I've ever fitted, and it took a while to work out how to keep the beading on one side from popping out while working on the other side. I tried it with the wheel standing up, lying down... After finally getting both tyres on, I made myself take them off again and refit them so that I got some practice in for if I ever need to do it mid-commute (i.e. probably in the dark, freezing cold and wet).

Panter said:
Any tips as to how you managed it single-handed? ;)

Stood wheel up with one side of beading inserted in rim all way round. Stood over the wheel looking down on the top of the rim. Inserted both sides of beading at very top of wheel and held firmly in place with right hand while used left hand to insert both sides of beading about 6 inches away to left. Held this in place firmly with left hand. Slid right hand 6 inches further to right working from top of wheel, inserted both sides of beading and held firmly in place with right hand. Then slid left hand 6 inches further to left and repeated the process until about 2/3 of the tyre was on.

Then lay the wheel down and using a knee to hold the tyre in place on one side of the wheel, used both hands and 3 tyre levers to gently work on the remaining beading.

Got it down to 5 mins with practice.

jimboalee

On the tyre wall, there will be some numbers like 28 - 622.

This is the important number.

Any other tyre with the same numbers as your OE tyre will fit the rim.

asterix

Comrade Member
MY LBS told me that 2008 700cx25 Panaracers are the same size as 2003 700cx28 Panaracers.

They were dead right! If they had let me buy what I asked for the clearances would not have been safe.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
beanzontoast said:
Stood wheel up with one side of beading inserted in rim all way round. Stood over the wheel looking down on the top of the rim. Inserted both sides of beading at very top of wheel and held firmly in place with right hand while used left hand to insert both sides of beading about 6 inches away to left. Held this in place firmly with left hand. Slid right hand 6 inches further to right working from top of wheel, inserted both sides of beading and held firmly in place with right hand. Then slid left hand 6 inches further to left and repeated the process until about 2/3 of the tyre was on.

Then lay the wheel down and using a knee to hold the tyre in place on one side of the wheel, used both hands and 3 tyre levers to gently work on the remaining beading.

Got it down to 5 mins with practice.

Thank you, much appreciated :biggrin:

I'll give that a try so that I don't get stuck if I do p****tu*e.

Top Bottom