Tyre sizes... Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Jeags

Right, managed to clean the bike up a bit today, looks rough around the edges but maybe workable? I'm quite handy with a set of spanners so am debating whether to put the work in to restore it, or just look for a different bike. I have attached photos of the bike, but feel free to ask for more specific photos if it helps. It looks like the pressure held up in the tyres overnight so I took it up and down the road and it seems to work okay, but will definitely need new brake pads as they seem uneven when braking at the rear. Let me know your thoughts anyway. Thanks to all those that have helped so far!
Joe
568311 568312 568313 568314 568315 568316
568318 568317

Ajax Bay

Guru
You need to tell us how tall you are and/or inside leg. That frame looks like max 53cm (measured centre of bottom bracket to centre of top tube/seat tube junction).
Wheel builder: Cliff Robson used to work out of (new shop now) Cycle Logic, 374-376 Barlow Moor Road, Chorlton, M21 8BJ, 01618 817160
If the tyres have stayed up, have a tentaive ride. The tyres look almost unused. But the tyres and tubes will need replacing as they are too old to be relied on (others may disagree).
The brake blocks all look fine (from the images). It's not the blocks making the rear braking seem uneven: it's the rims. And those centre-pull brakes with old blocks on those rims will never give you braking as good as a set of modern caliper brakes (with decent pads).
The stem (quill) looks set quite high. Before riding it I would unscrew, bang and pull it out and check it's in far enough (the stem should have a ||||| MIN minimum marking on it. I'd also pull the seat post, clean and reinsert.
HTH
Edit: You may wish to consider starting a new thread with your latest post in
Projects: Builds, Rebuilds or Modifications
where there are more 'fellow travellers'. This has gone beyond 'tyre size'.

OP
OP
J

Jeags

Thanks, will have a look at that thread now. Do people think it's worth doing the work to it? I'm more than happy to spend on it to get it to where it needs to be, but if it's deemed too old or pointless, there's no point in me wasting my time.

Edit: I'm 169cm with an inside leg of 80cm.

Thanks again,

Joe

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'd definitely spend a bit of time & effort sorting it out. Nice looking frame in a pleasing colour. Doesn't look overly racy with that long wheelbase, more of a fast tourer than anything. My concern areas would be brake drop headroom if considering 700c rims, and tyre sidewall clearances between the rear stays and front fork in any case. Make some measurements (with true wheels) at the chainstays, seatstays, and forks and see how much you have to play with. Don't go stupidly tight, wheels do flex a little and if you bash one or ping a spoke it will go a bit out of true. You need a little room to be on the safe side. Even if you can't size up the tyres a great deal, anything would be an improvement because you are starting with such narrow ones to begin with.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I am looking to get into road cycling and luckily (I think), a family friend has an older road bike he said I could have which would help me decide whether I'd want to pursue this further. I will say, that although it is a road bike, I haven't a clue of brands/specs yet, but this will be more to get me on the road and to see whether this develops into a hobby before I look at buying a road bike.
I'm 169cm with an inside leg of 80cm.
As @Cycleops has said: size matters. But saying that, riding this would allow you to consider whether more cycling is for you and you'd be better informed when you either buy another bike or decide not to pursue the cycling thing.
Please accept that this sizing estimate is 'at a distance' and with only the images above with no tube measurements.
I think you'll find that the frame is a bit too big for you. It'll be OK leg wise (32" inside leg) but at 1.69m that means you may find the bars a stretch to reach (you may be supple enough though). The stem is already quite short (?70mm) so there's no room for adjustment (shorter) there. But for a 'ride and see' option it would work.
Ideally get someone who knows what they're talking about to have a look at you on the bike. But in the meantime, to help us give you a more informed view, please measure in mm the seat tube (measured centre of bottom bracket to top of top tube/seat tube junction) and the top tube (measured centre of top tube/seat tube junction to centre of top tube/head tube junction).
1610363697249.png

Key with this 'see if I like it' approach is to minimise expenditure commensurate with safety. Examine the tyres. I've already shared that they look almost new (NOS?). Manipulating them, do cracks appear? If not likely safe to ride. Recognise that 7/8 = 22mm = narrow and so less comfortable than wider tyres (eg 630-32 if you have clearance). And if the tubes are holding air then likewise - but carry a spare (20-25 - 622) and levers and pump (presta valve). To address the braking:
1) Clean and then emery paper on the braking surfaces of the rims
2) Very early on (ie after some 'round the block'or 'test' rides) replace the brake blocks with some cheap new blocks eg these. They are not 'period correct' but will give you much better braking (and, yes, brake shoes and Salmons would be better but £25 as opposed to £8).
Hope all that helps.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As @Ajax Bay says it should be fine as a toe in the water. Judging by the brake blocks and tyres doesn't look like it had too much use. If the tubes hold up I should change the control cables (inner and outers), a fairly easy project.
Does the seat post move? Sometimes they become stuck, and you'll need to adjust it to suit your leg length. As a general rule your leg should be more or less straight when seated with the pedal at the six o clock position.
Let us know how you get on.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I should change the control cables (inner and outers)
For reasons of economy [Edit: and at Skippy's altar] I'd leave them be, unless they look rusty or there's any visible fraying (eg at cable clamps). Bike must have been kept indoors/in dry garage. Not much 'outer' for downtube levered cables, I note.
OP - still think you'd be better served by copying the second part of this thread into the other sub-forum. There'll be knowledgeable people there who will not venture into the 'beginners' section and you're missing out on their expertise. [Edit: in fact there's a bike not dissimilar to yours there with similar Qs.]

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeags

Measured the bike today:
Seat tube - 540mm
Top tube - 550mm

The bike has always been stored indoors which has helped by the looks of things. I have adjusted the seat to better suit me I think (leg now almost straight when pedal at 6 o clock position). The tyres were fitted soon before the bike was stored and look good so I'll stick with them for the time being I think.
I will see if I can copy part of this thread to the other sub-forum. Failing that, I'll start another in there.

Thanks for the great advice!

Joe

Ajax Bay

Guru
Probably too big for you (1.69 / 5ft 6 inches) - top tube. Temporary ride only, imo.

Top Bottom