Tyre sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Im after advice please. Will 700x23 tyres and 700x28 tyres fit on the same size wheel?
Should do providing it isn't a stupidly narrow rim. The main concern is if it will fit in the frame. The usual tight spots are behind the bottom bracket and at the fork crown/front brake.

Is there a recommended size for tyres on a road bike?
not really. It is down to personal preference most of the time. Coming into winter, as the UK is, you may be better off with a slightly wider, softer compound, winter tyre that holds better to the tarmac than you would in summer time (though this is also down to personal preference and I used to use the same tyre year round - I have only just moved to Australia from the UK).

But tyre width is also dependant on your rim width. Not all wheel rims will take say 700x32 tyres, so you need to also know the max width of your rims as well as there being a max size that your brakes and frame will accommodate.

Perhaps you can give the make and model of your bike, and the wheel rims if we are to further help you please?

OP
OP
P

Pumpkin

not really. It is down to personal preference most of the time. Coming into winter, as the UK is, you may be better off with a slightly wider, softer compound, winter tyre that holds better to the tarmac than you would in summer time (though this is also down to personal preference and I used to use the same tyre year round - I have only just moved to Australia from the UK).

But tyre width is also dependant on your rim width. Not all wheel rims will take say 700x32 tyres, so you need to also know the max width of your rims as well as there being a max size that your brakes and frame will accommodate.

Perhaps you can give the make and model of your bike, and the wheel rims if we are to further help you please?

The bike is a Carerra Virtuoso and is 3 months old. It is used regularly approx. 70-100 miles per week. It came with 700x23 Kendra tyres. The rear tyre now has a small split in it.

Every review I have read about this bike has stated that the tyres are its weakness and should be the first thing to upgrade. I have noticed from viewing GCN YouTube that the presenters use 700x28 tyres and would like to know what would be the best upgrade for me for this bike.

Last edited by a moderator:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Fyi, in case you didn't realise, the 700 refers to the diameter of the wheel, so 700x23 and 700x28 are for the same diameter rims. The 23 and 28 refer to the width of the tyre, in millimetres.

Current thinking is that wider tyres give better grip and lower rolling resistance. They are also more comfortable. This is why the GCN riders use 28mm tyres, and it's a trend I am totally on board with - I have 28mm tyres on my road bike and I love them. I would go up to 32mm if I had the frame clearance.

The wheels should be fine taking wider tyres, but you do need to check how much clearance there is in your bike's frame - the key places to check are around the fork crown (where the front brake is attached) and the seatstay bridge (where the rear brake is attached).

OP
OP
P

Pumpkin

Fyi, in case you didn't realise, the 700 refers to the diameter of the wheel, so 700x23 and 700x28 are for the same diameter rims. The 23 and 28 refer to the width of the tyre, in millimetres.

Current thinking is that wider tyres give better grip and lower rolling resistance. They are also more comfortable. This is why the GCN riders use 28mm tyres, and it's a trend I am totally on board with - I have 28mm tyres on my road bike and I love them. I would go up to 32mm if I had the frame clearance.

The wheels should be fine taking wider tyres, but you do need to check how much clearance there is in your bike's frame - the key places to check are around the fork crown (where the front brake is attached) and the seatstay bridge (where the rear brake is attached).

I currently have my 700x23 tyres inflated to 100 psi. Will this be the same psi for 700x28 or 700x25 tyres?

Sept700

I have Carerra Virtuso, which I purchased second-hand a month ago and it has 700 x 23 tyres, I just hope I will be able to get 700 x28 tyres onto it.

Top Bottom