Pressure too low in tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After my recent new purchase, I`m converting my Cannondale into a winter bike as my old mtb had finally died! Spoke to the LBS as I wanted something other than slicks for riding down the local towpaths and on cycle-paths that were slighlty less than smooth!

They recommended Schwalbe Marathon Plus and they even offered to put them on for free.When I picked the bike up again, the mechanic said he pumped them up to 60psi as this would be ideal for riding on the surfaces mentioned above. I took it out tonight for the first time but it seemed like I was riding through treacle. I expected to be slower because of the difference in the tyres on my road-bikes but I didn`t think the difference would be as big as it was!

Far be it from me to go against what a bike mechanic would say but is 60psi too low - or was I just guff tonight!

Tyres are 700x25c

Last edited:

S-Express

depends on the volume and your weight, but if you are on 28s or above, then 60 is in the ballpark.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Vittoria Rubino ... Continental Ultra Sport II

M+ will definitely feel slow compared to those.

Next question: How much do you weigh?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
+1 for too low. If the surfaces aren't that clever and you're not a featherweight then you might also increase the risk of a pinch flat. I've got a horrible stiff beaded 700x25 Spec Armadillo (was a distress purchase - it's grim but tough as buggery) on my cooking bike and it feels even more awful with less than 80psi. I'm 12.5st (blond, GSOH, no smokers)

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
My M+ 700x38 run at max pressure: 85psi. They roll respectably at and very near that, but too much of a drop off and they are tremendously hard work to get any momentum going, you can quickly find yourself several gears easier just to keep moving.

Top Bottom