tyre sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just bought a Specialized Secteur elite, and am really pleased with it. Been on a couple of shortish rides so far (35 & 45 miles) and have noticed that I feel the bumps in the road much more than on my Specialized ttricross. I was expecting that; however, the elite has come supplied with 23C tyres, not the 25C mentioned in the specs. I was wondering if changing them would make much of a difference in damping vibration and bumps. At the moment I'm planning to stick with the 23C until I need new tyres and then getting a set of 25C to compare. Has anyone else done this (or the other way round?).

willem

Über Member
Wider is more comfortable and worth it. Also, there is increasing research to show that on real roads wider is also faster. I would try the widest possible - sometimes that is a 28 mm (but sometimes only a 25 mm).
Willem

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Before lashing out on new tyres, experiment with the pressures in your existing jobbies. IME it is rare that maximum rated pressure is needed, but going too low will affect handling adversely and make the tyres prone to pinch flats. Your weight and the quality of surfaces you ride on will both have a bearing on the ideal presures.

Norm

I have the 700x25 tyres and, yes, it is harder than my Tricross but it's not uncomfortable. Larger tyres will take out more of the bumps but I'm not sure that the move from 23c to 25c would, by itself, make much difference. You'll probably find more difference moving to a different type of tyre, as the All Condition Pros are, like other "puncture resistant" tyres, pretty hard.

Other important factors are you own weight and what tyre pressure are you using. If you are light, then dropping a few pounds of pressure might help.

Oh, and *ping Potsy* ;)

potsy

Rambler
Norm said:
I have the 700x25 tyres and, yes, it is harder than my Tricross but it's not uncomfortable. Larger tyres will take out more of the bumps but I'm not sure that the move from 23c to 25c would, by itself, make much difference. You'll probably find more difference moving to a different type of tyre, as the All Condition Pros are, like other "puncture resistant" tyres, pretty hard.

Other important factors are you own weight and what tyre pressure are you using. If you are light, then dropping a few pounds of pressure might help.

Oh, and *ping Potsy* ;)
Hello,did somebody call?:ohmy:

OP
OP
O

oblongomaculatus

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try the pressure thing first and see how that goes. I'm not sure if the bike will take 28mm. There's enough clearance on the frame but it looks tight around the brakes.

potsy

Rambler
No chance of taking 28's mate,25's are the limit on this bike.They would only make minimum difference over 23's I'd have thought.
Might be a case of just getting used to the harder ride though,I went from 28mm hybrid to the Secteur and didn't notice much difference in comfort tbh.

OP
OP
O

oblongomaculatus

That's what I thought. I've been out today on both bikes and found the difference less noticeable, so I guess I'm getting used to it. And the Secteur's about 6 minutes faster over a 15 mile course, too. :-).

I was just a bit puzzled why it came fitted with 23's in the first place when it's widely advertised as having 25's.

potsy

Rambler
oblongomaculatus said:
That's what I thought. I've been out today on both bikes and found the difference less noticeable, so I guess I'm getting used to it. And the Secteur's about 6 minutes faster over a 15 mile course, too. :-).

I was just a bit puzzled why it came fitted with 23's in the first place when it's widely advertised as having 25's.
Seems weird,if it's not come as stated you would be entitled to have the correct size ones put on.But if you're happy with the 23's then I'd leave it.
6 minutes makes it all worthwhile too:biggrin:

OP
OP
O

oblongomaculatus

I'm kind of undecided. I'll be dropping in there soon to pick up a spare part I've ordered so I'll ask then. If they're happy to put 25's on for me at no extra cost, I'll probably do that. If they start umming and ahhing I'll just wait until I need to replace them and do it then at my own expense.

And yes, I'm pretty impressed at the six minute difference. I didn't expect that much because the tricross is a further 9 minutes faster than my third bike, a 4 year old Raleigh hybrid, flat handlebar bike, (which I'm selling) and knocking another big chunk off that seemed a bit much to ask really. So on balance, I'm well pleased. :-)

Top Bottom