Tyre sizing help...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Col5632

Guru
...Needed a new back tyre for my hybrid, its a 700x38c tyre i needed so i went onto wiggle and ordered the schwalbe marathon plus city tyre, when i've went to fit the tyre it doesnt fit, seems a good bit wider and slightly bigger than the wheel, the only difference i can see in my two tyres is the marathon plus says (28 x 1.50 - 700 x 38C) whereas my old tyre only says 700 x 38C.

So my question is have i ordered the wrong size and if so how?

Pauluk

I would have thought that the tyre you have should be ok for your hybrid. When you say slightly bigger, do you mean that it doesn't stay on the rim when you try and put it on. Have you tried inflating it with the tube in place. Widths can be a bit misleading as some manufacturers use different points where the measurement is taken, if you understand what I mean.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
I would have thought that the tyre you have should be ok for your hybrid. When you say slightly bigger, do you mean that it doesn't stay on the rim when you try and put it on. Have you tried inflating it with the tube in place. Widths can be a bit misleading as some manufacturers use different points where the measurement is taken, if you understand what I mean.

It basically makes the wheel look too some for the tyre, i had the tube part inflated but it just seems bigger than the old tyre by a good bit

Pauluk

If the tyre beads fit under the rim when its inflated and it looks ok fit wise then its probably the correct diameter. The width may be as I first commented or those tyres are wider than most others of the same width specification, or its an illusion.

I use schwalbe marathon plus 35C and they seem to have the same width appearance as the 35C tyres I took off my hybrid.

Don't know if anyone else on here has experience with 'marathon plus city' tyres.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
If the tyre beads fit under the rim when its inflated and it looks ok fit wise then its probably the correct diameter. The width may be as I first commented or those tyres are wider than most others of the same width specification, or its an illusion.

I use schwalbe marathon plus 35C and they seem to have the same width appearance as the 35C tyres I took off my hybrid.

Don't know if anyone else on here has experience with 'marathon plus city' tyres.

It just didnt seem like the tyre was the correct size, when sitting side by side both tyres appeared to be more or less the same height but when on wheel they drowned the wheel and i was expecting it to be super tight

Top Bottom