Tyre slime question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
flat-pack said:
He is running road tyres as supplied with the bike,

I had a look at the spec on the Giant Cypress. In that price bracket I would expect the manufacturer would have fitted tyres selected on price rather than quality.
I really would suggest putting better quality tyres on. Something like Schwalbe Marathons, or I've heard good things about Spesh Armadillos too. That way you'll avoid getting punctures (in most cases) rather than hoping that the slime will seal them.

lazyfatgit

flat-pack said:
Sorry but I am not that familiar with bike valves - so you have the twiddly bit that we all undo to pump up, do you then unscrew the thinner bit that the twiddly bit screws on to ?

Guess it has to be really :angry: Not much else is there ??

yes, the narrow bit at the top unscrews (at least it does on my valves)

ASC1951

Guru
bromptonfb said:
i'm confused, if the high pressure tyre is leaking, eventually it will be low pressure and then the slime will work. would it not?
True, but a road bike designed for 110 psi tyres will handle like a wheelbarrow if you ride it at 65 psi - and you'll get repeated pinch-punctures as well as damaging your rims.

Revolving the wheels so that the valve is parked at either at the 4 O'clock or 8 O'clock position and allowing them to stand at that position for 5 minutes or so before you inflate the tube allows the slime to to drain away from the area of the valve.

heliphil

Guru
I must say that most people on here warned me against using 'slime' but on several occasions including this morning it has saved me from fixing a puncture - just pump up and ride on.. I have even heard air escape for a second or two and then stop and I have continued my ride to work....

The Jayler

I've had slim tubes for years in my mountain bike and they work a treat. A cant recommend enough a good tyre though as if you can prevent the puncture occouring in the first place, your not going to need slim. You can deflate and reinflate these tyres if you release the air slowly with the valve at the top of the tyre. I couldn't tell you the last time i had a puncture on my mountain bike in the last 3 years. And i commute 6 miles a day.
I have not and would not use them on my road bike. Tried it once and other than the4 slime actually making the tyres heavy, when i did get a puncture i simply left a bright green trail down the road with a flat tyre, Again, good tyres help.

Top Bottom