Tyre slip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Schwalbes. Duranos and Durano pluses are as grippy as anything, even at high pressures. It's something to do with the kind of rubber used - Schwalbe seem to use a slightly softer rubber than most other manufacturers.

Schwalbes. Duranos and Durano pluses are as grippy as anything, even at high pressures. It's something to do with the kind of rubber used - Schwalbe seem to use a slightly softer rubber than most other manufacturers.
Maybe, but an increased co-efficient of friction of the rubber is irrelevant if there is a layer of lubrication between tyre and road.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Maybe, but an increased co-efficient of friction of the rubber is irrelevant if there is a layer of lubrication between tyre and road.

That's true, I don't know if that's the case but I suppose it didn't slip in the summer.

I'm lost again - so is it do nothing, or do something now? :smile:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I used to have a problem with slip on some of the short steep climbs but realised this doesn't happen much lately. Could be tyres but I think a 2 stone increase in weight over the last 5 years probably helps in this respect .

Therefore my suggestion is eat more cake....

Seriously though I have recently changed to Durano plus tyres .Im convinced they help on steep slippy climbs and have been very reliable so far.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I used to have a problem with slip on some of the short steep climbs but realised this doesn't happen much lately. Could be tyres but I think a 2 stone increase in weight over the last 5 years probably helps in this respect .

Therefore my suggestion is eat more cake....

Seriously though I have recently changed to Durano plus tyres .Im convinced they help on steep slippy climbs and have been very reliable so far.

Happy with the cake advice. Especially if you sit and spin. I've got the poor mans' Duranos and with just a smidge under 1K on the clock, I'm happy. May consider plus next me round, but as I haven't had many punctures, Maybe I won't need the upgrade.

That's true, I don't know if that's the case but I suppose it didn't slip in the summer.

I'm lost again - so is it do nothing, or do something now? :smile:

It is do nothing because you can't sit, and a change in pressure or tyre width or compound will be incremental and not enough to fix the problem.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Does the slippage occur when you're in or out of the saddle? If in, what's your weight distribution like, could you transfer more weight to the front wheel? Shift your weight as far forward as you can in the saddle if seated. Bottom line is pretty much no tyre will not slip if you're out of the saddle on a steep incline and it's damp or you're on wet leaves.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Does the slippage occur when you're in or out of the saddle? If in, what's your weight distribution like, could you transfer more weight to the front wheel? Shift your weight as far forward as you can in the saddle if seated. Bottom line is pretty much no tyre will not slip if you're out of the saddle on a steep incline and it's damp or you're on wet leaves.

Either. I usually climb seated all the way, I have to force myself to get out of the seat because it's not a natural thing for me. I think I did start standing up just to maintain balance after the slipping started.

Taking weight off the rear wheel is unlikely to help grip though. :smile:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
It is do nothing because you can't sit, and a change in pressure or tyre width or compound will be incremental and not enough to fix the problem.

I'll change the route on wet days then :smile: ;)

To be honest this hill was just highlighting it for me. I'm downhilling at 60kph on Ide Hill, there are lots of slippery looking hills and turns under tree cover.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If you shift your weight forwards, the back tyre will slip more.
If you have your weight too far back, the front tyre will start to lift with each pedal stroke and make steering difficult.

Getting the right weight balance is difficult. Bottom gear, pedal as smoothly as you can, and sort of hover your backside just in front of the saddle rather than standing up straight (which generally means too far forward).

Success is a matter of tyre grip, what's making the road slippery, and how well you get the weight distribution right.
You can sometimes help grip by paying attention to the road surface and keeping to the rougher parts between the car wheel tracks.
Tyre grip on clean road is a matter of rubber compound - generally, softer = grippier = wears out quicker.

Top Bottom