Tyre wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

139NI

I was with the understanding that the tyres on the rear wheel will wear down more rapidly than the front, owing to grater weight exerted on them.

However, i find that in reality, my front tyres always seem to wear down more quickly and become more pitted with debris than the rear wheel. When i get off this computer in a minute, i am going to swap the front tyre with the rear.

Has anyone found this also to be the case?

Cheers

w

Ajax Bay

Guru
Better off getting a new tyre for whichever tyre has worn more and save yourself a tyre change.

D

Deleted member 1258

My normal routine is to put a new tyre on the front and move the old front onto the back.

OP
OP

139NI

cheers to all. interesting that MJRAY contradicts the others. Like him, I have always held that the rear wears faster cos more weight is transferred to the back, but my CONTINENTAL SPORT CONTACT 1.6 at the front are pitted with cuts and a small sliver of rubber has peeled, exposing the carcass. The rear is strangely relatively unscathed, smooth and barely pitted -strange...

Citius

cheers to all. interesting that MJRAY contradicts the others. Like him, I have always held that the rear wears faster cos more weight is transferred to the back

Think about it. A rear wheel drive car's rear tyres will still wear faster than the front, even though the engine is at the front. Weight has nothing to do with it. Power transfer does.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are we reading different discussions or am I ignoring a key poster? I'm not seeing anyone saying front wears faster - just not to put a part-worn tyre on the front (which I'd agree with too).

Top Bottom