Tyres again sorry..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
These are my commuter tyres. Very light (much less than M+), fast and durable (and I got about 7-800miles out of the first pair, second pair holding up well so far)

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b6s142p1549

Interesting.

Does anyone know what is the difference between the M Supreme and the M Racer? According to the Schwalbe website, they are *both* the lightest tyre in the "Evolution" range, though the figures suggest the Racer is lighter. They use the same rubber compound and claim the same level of puncture protection.

The Racers are a fair bit cheaper.

I really think Schwalbe need to rationalise their range.

d.

OP
OP
Jdratcliffe

Jdratcliffe

BSRU

A Human Being

I have both 4000s on my road bike and 4 Seasons on my hybrid. They are similar but the 4 Seasons has a double vectran(puncture protection) layer so in theory is more puncture resistant.
I think the "s" is to distinguish the 4000s from the previous 4000, The "s" represents an addition, black chili, according to Conti, "the Black Chili Compound reduces rolling resistance by 26%, grip is increased by 30% and mileage is increased by 5%".
The 4 Seasons are regarded as an all year round tyre.

4000s
http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti grand prix 4000S.shtml
4 Seasons
http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti grand prix 4 season.shtml

OP
OP
Jdratcliffe

Jdratcliffe

I have both 4000s on my road bike and 4 Seasons on my hybrid. They are similar but the 4 Seasons has a double vectran(puncture protection) layer so in theory is more puncture resistant.
I think the "s" is to distinguish the 4000s from the previous 4000, The "s" represents an addition, black chili, according to Conti, "the Black Chili Compound reduces rolling resistance by 26%, grip is increased by 30% and mileage is increased by 5%".
The 4 Seasons are regarded as an all year round tyre.

4000s
http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti grand prix 4000S.shtml
4 Seasons
http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti grand prix 4 season.shtml
thanks good greif could they make it much harder to pick a road tyre? all i want is one that will last a fair bit not be too heavy roll nice and maybe not P****re if a bit of glass was once on the tarmac ten days ago... * sigh mm looks like some fun lunch time reading

172traindriver

Legendary Member
thanks good greif could they make it much harder to pick a road tyre? all i want is one that will last a fair bit not be too heavy roll nice and maybe not P****re if a bit of glass was once on the tarmac ten days ago... * sigh mm looks like some fun lunch time reading

The link implies that the 4 Seasons are more of a training tyre and as the name implies are more suited for 4 seasons worth of use.
I use the GP4000s tyres on both my nice summer bikes, but on the winter bike I use the Gatorskin Hardshell folding tyres. There are cheaper alternatives out there and no doubt other members have their own opinions. But from a personal point of view I managed to ride all of last winter without a puncture on the winter bike.............thats tempting fate as I am about to go out for a quick spin in a bit on one of the nice bikes, as the sun has just come out round here!!!!!

OP
OP
Jdratcliffe

Jdratcliffe

The link implies that the 4 Seasons are more of a training tyre and as the name implies are more suited for 4 seasons worth of use.
I use the GP4000s tyres on both my nice summer bikes, but on the winter bike I use the Gatorskin Hardshell folding tyres. There are cheaper alternatives out there and no doubt other members have their own opinions. But from a personal point of view I managed to ride all of last winter without a puncture on the winter bike.............thats tempting fate as I am about to go out for a quick spin in a bit on one of the nice bikes, as the sun has just come out round here!!!!!
thanks i think i'll get some 4000s for now i do 1000miles a months so prob need some new ones before the winter time anyway i then will back to the diliema might get 4 season for winter and 4000s' for the summer

172traindriver

Legendary Member
thanks i think i'll get some 4000s for now i do 1000miles a months so prob need some new ones before the winter time anyway i then will back to the diliema might get 4 season for winter and 4000s' for the summer

I swear by the GP4000S's for the summer, so think you won't regreat it. Some of my mates use the 4 Season's for winter and don't have any compaints. Lets face it the state of our roads you could buy any tyres and if you were unlucky could write them off on your first ride.

172traindriver

Legendary Member

Don't want to seem a killjoy but when you read the description there isn't much mention of a puncture protection breaker belt. A few years ago I was using one of the entry level Continental tyres on my winter bike and seemed to suffer quite a few punctures. Could have been just bad luck, but as I said to you in a earlier post I have been lucky with the Gatorskin Hardshells. It may pay you in the longer run to pay a bit more for the better quality tyres.

Top Bottom