Tyres again sorry..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jdratcliffe

hi guys i know its a noob question but once i get an option i like i'll prob stick to them till the option is retired.
my cycle commute is 44miles a day 5 days a week( near as damn 1k mile a month ) im currently on the standard ones that came with my bike are the Specialized All Condition which i have had from day one Dec last year so it done almost 4000miles i have started to get more air escaping events and there are looking a bit cut up tbh and think i will need to change them soon my LBS (which is actually mobile http://www.mobilecycleservice.co.uk/ if you work in town recommend him absolutely) recommends Scwalbe Durano Plus but these look a bit big and heavy i have been looking at the All Condition Armadillo Elite Tire but cannot find them anywere to buy and i like the idea of red tyre walls but they also look quite costly so after opinions LBS said he could do £32 each on the Scwalbe Durano Plus

BSRU

A Human Being
From my limited personal experience, how about one of the Conti GP series, either GP4000s or for more PF protection the GP4 Seasons.

OP
OP
Jdratcliffe

Jdratcliffe

what are they like cost to distance wise? i commute all year round due to lack of funds so need to get the most outta my tyres and tubes ! (currently have 5 tubes all with at lest 3 patches on them!)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Durano Plus are excellent. I love them. They don't ride like a heavy tyre, and they're pretty much bombproof. Might not be the best option for long wear though - they're quite soft rubber, which is good for grip but...

d.

BSRU

A Human Being
what are they like cost to distance wise? i commute all year round due to lack of funds so need to get the most outta my tyres and tubes ! (currently have 5 tubes all with at lest 3 patches on them!)
GP 4 Seasons are an all year round tyre, long lasting compared to Rubino Pro 3's I have used, and will cost between £30 to £40 depending on how lucky you are, High On Bikes is normally has a good deal. The main difference between the 4000s and 4 Seasons is the 4 Seasons has two "Vectran" puncture protection layers and not one like the 4000s.
My current 4 Seasons are only 1000 miles old but still look good and no PF visits yet, fingers crossed and virgin sacrifice to the PF^_^ , despite the increase in broken glass I have seen recently. My previous pair were 3000 miles when replaced with only one visit.
An alternative would be Marathon Plus, very long lasting, hard wearing and very puncture resistant but you pay with some disadvantages that I personally do not like.

BSRU

A Human Being
ok mm these would be..?
Remember, this is my personal opinion, after riding over 1000 miles on a pair.
They are heavy compared to other tyres, I think one M+ weighs three times a GP 4 Season tyre.
The are rigid and inflexible, meaning the ride is not as good, harsh in my opinion.
They did not give me any confidence in the wet, GP 4 Seasons are excellent in the wet.
The final thing that put me off was that they slowed my acceleration away from a standing start, something I do quite often when I am commuting.
Strangely, I found commuting on Marathon Winters more enjoyable than M+ tyres.

OP
OP
Jdratcliffe

Jdratcliffe

Remember, this is my personal opinion
something i'd take over a sales pitch from a LBS and or the manufactoring spill on tyres anyday as this will be my first purchase in this area thank you. i'll look at the GP tyres last time the number of options freaked me out a little

BSRU

A Human Being
something i'd take over a sales pitch from a LBS and or the manufactoring spill on tyres anyday as this will be my first purchase in this area thank you. i'll look at the GP tyres last time the number of options freaked me out a little
There are lots of options and the worse part is a tyre might be good for one rider and crap for another due to different styles etc.
In my case I took an educated guess and it turned out to be a good one.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I used to have GP 4 Seasons on my road bike. They're good and I would endorse BSRU's comments. Durano Plus are similar but with even more puncture protection.

Thinking about my previous post, I may be wrong about the durability of Durano Plus. I've done about 3000km on mine so far, in all weathers, and the tread is cut up a bit but I don't recall ever having had a puncture in them, and they still seem to have plenty of life left. (Even if the outer tread is cut up, they have the extra layer of puncture protection.)

I have Marathon Supremes on my regular commuting bike. They're also very good. 32C but fast and grippy. According to mycyclinglogs, I've had one puncture on them in nearly 4000km and they don't look like wearing out any time soon.

d.

After having my last 4 base conti grand prix fail at the side wall quite quickly, I've opted for Mitch Krylion Carbons, if they live up to the hype (I've only had them 580 miles) they'll be a good cost to wear set of tyres (its claimed the average rider will get 5000km). Previous contis (gp 4000s, 4 seasons, wired gp's) however, have got far in excess of average ;) with a good p'ture per mile ratio! My last wired Grand Prix had got 9600 miles (most of that was on the front, only about 2500 was on the rear) and the previous rear got around 5000miles, I had hoped for similar from the new grand prix's, maybe even better as they've added new p'ture protection on the tread but I think that's been to the detriment of the side walls and the longest lasting of them got less than 1300miles :sad:

OP
OP
Jdratcliffe

Jdratcliffe

Anyone used

All Condition Armadillo Elite Tire?
wiggle have
Continental Ultra Sport Road Tyre for a good price anyone use these? they come in white whats peoples opinion on using white rubber?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
gone are the days of black and round were the only option , i have just put some Schwable Luganos on my road commuter seem ok after first 15 miles so will see as time goes

Top Bottom