Votes: 2 5.4%
  • 700c x 40 or more

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Mountain Bike Sizes

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Other Size not listed (sorry) please mention in comments

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have the option of various routes to work and use different bikes according to the route chosen:
  • All road: road bike with 700c x 25mm at around 95psi. This is firm but it's to be expected. Minimum 18 miles each way, often extended on the way home for extra distance.
  • Mixed surface: gravel bike with 700c x 43mm tyres at around 45psi. Much more comfortable on road but also forgiving and grippy enough on byways and trails. If I were to choose only one bike to do any route it would be this one. 12-15 mile route options, with extensions available.
  • Off-road: I can get to work nearly all off-road and if not on the gravel bike I'll take an MTB, especially if it's muddy. Choice of 29x2.3 or 27.5x2.35. With the knobbles on these are harder work on road/hardpack but then the tyres here are less for comfort and more for grip and durability, with pressures adjusted to the conditions. 12 miles minimum route length.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
25mm for the commuter and most other bikes, including commuting in the winter. I run at 110-115psi as well pretty much all year round.

Only in bad weather do I switch to a 30mm hybrid /cross tyre, but on the hybrid / winter commuter bikes.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Before the work move (March 2015), Trek & 28mm. As work is 20 miles away, since then I prefer to use a bike with an engine. When it's human-powered, the Litespeed on 35mm Marathon Supremes. Fast, comfortable even on grotty rough services (AKA pretty much every road in Hampshire), good in torrential rain.

25mm. they feel comfortable. noticeably better than 23s
ACTP0136.JPG

rivers

How far can I go?
It depends on what bike I'm using.
If I'm on my TT bike- 23mm, tubeless 80psi. I have a few 50 and 100 mile TTs this summer, so time on the TT bike is key and commuting is an easy way to get time on it.
Summer road- 25mm about 80 psi. Good for fast commutes and if I'm going on a ride after work. Or just fancy riding it because it's fun.
Gravel bike/commuter. 2 sets of wheels, one road fitted with 32mm tyres, tubeless pumped to 45/50 psi, one gravel fitted with 40mm tyres, tubeless pumped to 30-40psi. The 40mm tyres are hard work. Now that my road wheels are set up, I'll only use the 40mm for off-roading.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
20 inch wheels on the folding bike with 35mm wide Kojaks on year round. I usually keep them at about 55psi, except for when it's snowy or icy and I'll drop the pressure down a bit.

winjim

Smash the cistern
28mm. I refuse to believe that a couple of mm either way make that much of a difference though.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom