Tyres bursting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wmtlynx

Am I alone in having tyres burst when storing my bike in the conservatory? Is this unusual at all? I enjoyed a few days commuting last week as a trial and was gutted to find my tyres both flat this evening when getting the bike ready for tomorrow. My partner said she heard a bang this afternoon. The same happened last year but I presumed this was down to the 40year old tyres/tubes. Any advice, other than don't park it in the heat?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago.
The extreme heat that can build up in a conservatory makes the air in thr tubes/tyres expand.. and.. BANG!!

Lower the pressure in your tyres a little if you storing bike in your conservatory in the hotter months.

A couple of years ago I had two tyres burst in a matter of two days. The first was when I left my Hybrid in the back of the car on a sunny day, The tube in this tyre was filled with slime and during the explosion the inside of my car was cover in what looked like dayglo green snot. I renewed the the tyre and placed the bike in the garden shed. Lois put some jam jars in the shed window, and a couple of hours later there was loud bang. The sun's rays had been magnified by a glass jar and there was a scorch mark across the wooden floor showing the passage of the sun right up to the bike's wheel and what was left of the (new and recently fitted) tyre.

Top Bottom