Tyres for a kids bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crisscross

My daughter has a 24"wheel mountain bike. The tyres are pretty wide and knobbly.

We hope to do a decent bit of touring and I think narrower tyres will help her.

Please can anyone suggest a decent set of tyres for mainly road use for 24" wheels.

Thanks

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
There's a decent range of 24" mtb tyres here. If you are looking at mainly road riding then the advice is basically the same as for adult 26" tyres. Try and get tyres without too much tread as this tends to absorb energy making them roll less well.

In general the Schwalbe Marathon and Marathon+ get very good reviews, along with the Big apples.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If it's road riding she doesn't need any tread and something like 1.5" wide or even less will do. My son's Islabike came with slicks (slightly textured) and he manages every kind of family ride with them.

jimboalee

Check the rims have hooks.

Some rims that size ( esp chrome plated ) are smooth without hooks.

If so, get a pair of tyres with a continuous centre keel. There can be knobbly bits either side but the continuous centre keel will let the tyre roll without buzzing.

PS. There aren't many lightweigh 24" wheel girls MTBs around. Make sure she's 'dead keen' on the touring idea. Otherwise, if it's your idea and she's just a tiny, tiny, teeny bit reluctant, she will end up hating you.

Top Bottom