Tyres for HPV SMGT?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's a 406/559 tyre mix (20" / 26") touring recumbent capable of taking up to 2" tyres. Currently got some old schwalbe tyres similar to supremes or racers I think. Front tyre is different width and model of tyre. They're still good tyres despite having a very old looking Schwalbe logo on the tyre with the word tour on it. Certainly I've not seen a modern tyre like it.

Anyway, what tyre would you suggest for general riding and touring? Same width front and rear or wider to rear like its got now? Should I go wide for comfort or narrow leaving road buzz for the full suspension to take out?

On an upright I like marathon pluses for winter so I am as neat certain I'll not puncture. Summer I might keep them on or go for plain marathons. Used vittoria hypers for a few years in better months. Always 35 to 38mm width. However I'm not really up on what is best for touring recumbent bikes like this one.

It'll be used on a 2 weeks overseas tour this summer and a few leisure rides to get used to it before the. Possibly few long weekend tours in the UK top. Not my commuter these days, that's a train and Brompton.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
I use a nutrak 20x 1.1 slick which is quite grippy but doesn't suck up loads of power . Not the deepest tyre but comfortable enough on my rigid trike.
On the rear I use a Vittoria rubino pro .it's a 700c but quite deep so comfortable.
On my 26" I use a schwable big Apple and run them on the front too as 20"
They can be run soft for comfort but. Do use a bit of power being big and spongy.
As an overall I'd choose the big Apple for touring comfort.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Do big apples come below 50mm/2"? My recumbent has 50mm max clearance and I would prefer narrower still so there's more mudguard clearance. Low 40mm might suit better.

I once found out my marathon pluses were at 45 and 50 psi on my upright once. I upped it to 60/64 psi and my commute route became noticeably quicker. I'm a 87kg rider with probably over 90kg load with work stuff. I think 60-65 psi on pluses seemed a good mix between less slow and more comfort. They were 37 or 38mm wide 700s.

Top Bottom