Tyres for TT's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
I can't help thinking that if 150's were really comfortable then why have you changed to even shorter cranks? Do you have these specially made as I don't think I've ever seen good quality cranks this short (sometimes short cranks are found on kids bikes) and surely you are drastically reducing the amount of leverage by coming down by 20 - 30mm. Can I ask (I am genuinely interested from a professional point of view) do you use short cranks to suit your own body geometry, i.e. are you quite short in the leg and this is the only length that will properly suit your leg length? Hope you don't mind me asking. Graham
Google 145mm cranks and there's a lot of entries, although I can't see the advantage as climbing is likely to be affected simply because of the leverage required. Maybe it works for flat roads, certainly track riders usually go for 165 (banking clearance, and nothing longer is permitted on steep tracks). I have been on 165 or 167.5 over the years, and now for casual riding (which is all this clapped out old racer can do ^_^), 165 is the norm. Simply what I'm used to and comfy with, shrt enough to spin easily and long enough to help the old legs on the climbs when taken (very) steadily!

frank9755

Cyclist
I use 165 too. But one of the guys at my club was using 145 cranks last season and raving about them. He is on the short side, maybe about 5'4". I think he'd adapted them himself (with a drill).

On the OPs topic, I use Conti Grand Prix Supersonics. When I was looking to get some better tyres three or four seasons ago I googled 'fastest clincher' and that was what came up! 23mm. People used to use narrower but the modern view, based on tests is that, while narrower tyres have less wind resistance, wider tyres roll better, so you don't see so many people using 19s and 20s now (unless it is for tight frame clearances.

Top Bottom