tyres for turbo non-hooked rims - aargh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hotchilidamo

Ok so I'm having a bit of a nightmare since purchasing a turbo trainer for my hybrid. I hooked it up for the first time but the sound was awful with the ridged tyres I have. Doing a little search on here I find that I might need some specific turbo tyres. So I bought the Vittoria Zaffiro tyre recommended by some on here.

Getting the bastard thing on my wheel would test the patience of a saint. After struggling for ages I see on the tyre that it says its suitable for hooked rims only. So I'm guessing I don't have hooked rims. It would have been nice to know this before I'd purchased them :/

So what to do now. Are there any turbo tyres for non-hooked rims that are quite cheap. Is there a work around?

Right now I'm tempted to send everything back and forget about the whole idea :sad:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, any narrow tyre is meant for hooked rims. What interests me more is why you assume that you must have none hooked rims? Some tyre / rim combos are just hard...
EDIT just seen the bike is a hybrid. How wide is your new tyre? If it's less than 28mm then that's your problem.

OP
OP
Hotchilidamo

Hotchilidamo

yeah the turbo tyre is 700x23, my usual tyres are 700x28. So is it safe to assume that there aren't any turbo tyres that thick? Can't seem to find any online

sight-pin

Veteran
I had problems too, but found if you inflate the tube slightly, place it in the tyre then fit to the wheel i wasn't too bad to fit. Just make sure that around the valve and maybe a few other places the tyre is seated fully down on the rim.
Have fun:sweat:

Edit, watch you don't catch the tube with the levers though, although you probably know this.

jack smith

Veteran
Hooked rims are just clincher rims arent they? Im sure your rim will be fine the tyre might just be abit narrow im sure you could get it on with some patience try putting some air in the tube and fitting the tyre as much as possible and then when you cant go any further ket the air out and force the tyre on with tyre legers just make sure you dont pinch the tube

screenman

Legendary Member
I use a non turbo tyre on my turbo without problems, you will not find much noise difference, you might if you use it a lot notice wear difference.

Warm the tyre up, stick it behind a warm radiator or the suchlike.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It's very unlikely that your rims aren't 'hooked', but that tyre can just be a pig to get on (I have the same tyre). If you are really struggling, then a toe strap/cable tie or two can come in handy. This video shows how to fit one of the toughest tyres to fit there is: -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

Your rim is probably 19mm internal width, which means on the road you wouldn't want to fit a 23mm tyre (or anything under 28mm) but it should be ok on a Turbo as you aren't going to hit many potholes on there :smile:

What's the bike, or what are the wheels?

OP
OP
Hotchilidamo

Hotchilidamo

Your rim is probably 19mm internal width, which means on the road you wouldn't want to fit a 23mm tyre (or anything under 28mm) but it should be ok on a Turbo as you aren't going to hit many potholes on there :smile:

What's the bike, or what are the wheels?

Thanks. The bike is a Sirrus Elite Disc.

Tempted by the idea of a separate wheel but I'm assuming this will not be a cheap thing to setup?

moo

Thanks. The bike is a Sirrus Elite Disc.

Tempted by the idea of a separate wheel but I'm assuming this will not be a cheap thing to setup?

A set of Shimano R501 wheels are £70. You may as well get the set and keep the front as a spare for when a spoke breaks on current bike. The rear on its own is ~£55. They will hold a larger tyre but not recommended to go above 28mm.

All you would then need is a 9 speed cassette for £10 and a spanner to install. A chain whip for <£10 will come in handy if you ever want to remove the cassette.

As already mentioned you'll find the turbo loud regardless of tyre used.

OP
OP
Hotchilidamo

Hotchilidamo

Right then, I managed to get the tyre on, made sure the tube wasnt being piched, inflated it to 110 psi as recommended, looked great. Sat it on the turbo, got about 2 mins in and .....psssssssssssssssssch

I tell you what, getting this bike set up with a turbo trainer is a real challenge and I'm starting to lose the will a little. £175 later and I've had 2 minutes using it and about 45mins frustration

Any tips on what I'm doing wrong here?

shadow master

Just go to your local shop purchase a smooth 700x32c cheap tyre,those special turbo tyres are bullshit,they run just the same,they claim to last longer,well at the price they are I should hope so.hooked rims and all that forget it,ordinary bike ordinary tyres!

Top Bottom