tyres for winter commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lerxt

I've just taken delivery of a genesis day-one cross which has continental cx tyres. I'm going to use the bike over the winter to commute to work which is entirely on the road. Are cx tyres excessive for the road or do people consider them ideal for winter road commuting?

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

L.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
If you're only ever going to ride on the road, then you'd be better of with slicks or near slicks.

Slicks are fine in winter unless it's icy or snowy, in which case, not much else will either.

BSRU

A Human Being
If you're only ever going to ride on the road, then you'd be better of with slicks or near slicks.

Slicks are fine in winter unless it's icy or snowy, in which case, not much else will either.

Except Marathon Winters or other studded tyres.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No Tyre grips on ice unless studded. I ride all year on 23mm slicks of just 220grams. Come ice and snow, its an mtb with studded threshold. Tbh, most winters I'd miss maybe 3 or 4 days all winter with ice. Last winter was different so bought spikey tyres

potsy

Rambler
No Tyre grips on ice unless studded. I ride all year on 23mm slicks of just 220grams. Come ice and snow, its an mtb with studded threshold. Tbh, most winters I'd miss maybe 3 or 4 days all winter with ice. Last winter was different so bought spikey tyres

I'm still debating whether or not to spend £65-70 on a pair of the Marathon Winter tyres,with last winter being my 1st one it was a shock how bad it was and I ended up missing nearly 5 weeks of commuting.
Question is what are the chances of it being that bad again? What is the average winter like for cycle commuting?

OP
OP
L

Lerxt

Thanks for the replies. I'll look at changing the tyres then. Any recommendations for good winter slicks?

Cheers,

L.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I use Specialized Armadillos, 23 mm, on my commuter. I like them.

whistling.gif

I'm on Marathon Supremes now it is wet on every single morning commute, they are great tyres, very grippy but roll really well and have excellent puncture protection.

I'm still debating whether or not to spend £65-70 on a pair of the Marathon Winter tyres,with last winter being my 1st one it was a shock how bad it was and I ended up missing nearly 5 weeks of commuting.
Question is what are the chances of it being that bad again? What is the average winter like for cycle commuting?

Last winter was very extreme, it is quite rare to see snow for more than half a week a year in the Midlands normally.

Mind you, I still managed to ride in almost everyday on slick mtb tyres. A bit squirmy and I had to be careful, but it was quite fun tbh.

RedBike

Your CX tyres are heavy, slow and not very puncture resistant. I would recommend that you leave the tyres on and find a few muddy off-road triails to ride along on the way (much more fun!). Although if you must ride all the way on the road then swap the tyres over for slicks

OP
OP
L

Lerxt

Your CX tyres are heavy, slow and not very puncture resistant. I would recommend that you leave the tyres on and find a few muddy off-road triails to ride along on the way (much more fun!). Although if you must ride all the way on the road then swap the tyres over for slicks

Unfortunately there's no muddy off-road trails on my way to work. It would be nice but alas not. I'm looking at changing to either marathon plus's or armadillos, can't quite decide though.

I do like the idea of cx racing but I'm not sure I'm quite fit enough yet. Maybe next year though.

Cheers for the responses.

L.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Can't say............ most recent winters have meant at worse 3-5 days I didn't ride...too icy............ I'm very careful about it these days......

Last Xmas...... 1st day back at work was sheet ice...I drove in....... looked at long term weather......freezing..... no way was I sitting off a bike for two weeks...... umm'ed at Wiggle for a bit - just got last set of MTB Studded tyes.

Next day..........stupid amounts of snow - jumped on MTB with normal MTB tyres - OK - kept off any packed snow.

Managed that night to drive (just) to local depot and collected spiky tyres........

Snow now compacted and slippy............. not for studded tyres...... ended up using these for two weeks non-stop to get to work.......... hard, but I had an off road route, that was great.........(also pan flat)

Top Bottom