Tyres - Foreign bodies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

Having put on 2 new Gatorskin tyres about 2 weeks back I was today checking them and noticed 2 very, very small bits of what looked like glass ( or maybe some sort of grit ) in 2 sections of the rear tyre. I have gently pried these small specks from the rubber being fearful of motion forcing them thru to the tube. Is this the correct thing to do ? If the answer is a resounding NO I`ll give myself a quick cuff round the head. Ta for any replies.

longers

Legendary Member
Is this the correct thing to do ?

The answer is a resounding yes. An occasional check of your tyres for similar is a good idea.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Force yourself to have a quick check of your tyres before every ride and you will have less chance of a puncture & prolong the life of the tyre. Dig out anything you find embedded in the tyre. Glass, Grit, Stones, Flint, Thorns etc. Leave them in the tyre and more often then not they will work their way in and cause punctures

bauldbairn

Force yourself to have a quick check of your tyres before every ride and you will have less chance of a puncture & prolong the life of the tyre.
+1 :thumbsup:
Good advice - I always give my wheels a spin before I go out, it becomes routine after a while.

Fattman

Force yourself to have a quick check of your tyres before every ride and you will have less chance of a puncture & prolong the life of the tyre. Dig out anything you find embedded in the tyre. Glass, Grit, Stones, Flint, Thorns etc. Leave them in the tyre and more often then not they will work their way in and cause punctures

Totally, totally agree - last weekend was about to head out, gave the wheels a quick once-over and spotted a cut and, tellingly, a slight bulge on the front tyre - thus averted the risk of a front-wheel blow-out, which would not have been a pleasant experience!

I rather like de-clagging the tyre. It's like getting sleep out of your eyes, or wax out of your ears or... well, you can guess where this is going.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've always checked my tyres once a week. I've been on racelite hardcases since the beginning of the year and although I have some cuts to the back tyre the front hasn't cut up at all yet..

Top Bottom