Tyres in keeping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4627831, member: 45"]Our bike shop is too shiny.

The World Tours appear to be 590. The Delta Cruisers here don't have an ISO mark on.[/QUOTE]
Why do you think I converted my Raleigh to 700c from 26x 1 3/8 (having checked that there was clearance by sticking a couple of wheels from another bike in) although the Michelins are not a bad tyre.

As long as the tyre is marked as 26x1 3/8 then it should fit, any other 26x ? won't.

Bobtoo

Über Member
I've had tyres that wouldn't go on at all unless you had the bead right in the "well" where the spokes are, have you tried that?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Very odd. Delta Cruisers aren't made in 597 and I'm not sure they ever have been. Even then, that being wrong would produce the opposite problem, of a tyre too loose, not too tight. Similarly, Rigida 597 rims seem like they may be stamped 26x1¼" (don't ask) if they indeed exist, whereas ones stamped 26x1⅜" are 590 BSD.

So I don't know. I've never struggled getting them onto rims, even in narrower sizes, although I usually use levers regardless, but Deltas have been about the easiest non- MTB tyre, fittable even with free gift tyre levers that seem to be made of cheese. I hope it's something freak like a bad batch or one of those rim/tyre combinations that just doesn't work.

Don't they have the ISO size embossed on the sidewalls? I'm 90% sure my 37-590s do and if you're really desperate, I'll go out in the fog and check tonight ;)

Can you measure the diameters and see if either are grossly out? (You'll need calipers to straddle the wheel hub and avoid tape bulge, or to do some trig.)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Boggling at 650STD size which is new to me. 650A French is 590 ISO, 650B is 584. Not sure how they decide that B is standard!

Oh well, at least if you want to resell, there are more people using that.

Top Bottom