Tyres - Panaracer Mach SS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Put these on my Giant Escape as a replacement for the standard Maxxis Detonator slicks to give a little more traction on a local disused railway which has some muddy sections, a couple of which rarely seem to dry out even during summer.
GOOD - Grip was spot on for my requirements, preventing sideways squirming and rolling much better over the muddy bits rather than sinking in and having to pedal to push through it with the slicks.
On road resistance I didn't find greatly increased from the slicks, though cornering feel was different due to the knobbly lugs on the tyre shoulders. I have probably been taking corners more slowly, but not sure if it is a confidence thing as I swapped to them shortly after an off with the detonators due to a very greasy road and a white line incident.
Sidewalls quite thin and flexible and coupled with a max inflation pressure of 60psi gave some relief form the rail trail surface.
BAD - No discernible puncture protection. Even with slime filled tubes I've given up on them after around 500miles. Had to change plans too many times going out to find a flat.
Now switched to Marathon+ so I can write puncture with impunity. I'll review them once I've used them for a few months.

Top Bottom