Tyres - puncture protection + performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have Marathon Supremes on my Rose trekking bike.

No punctures in getting on for three years of weekend riding.

Against that is they are known to have a harsh ride.

Never had any other tyres on the bike, so I can't really say.

What I can say is the grip is not brilliant, particularly on cycle paths.

Reasonable grip on asphalt, although not fantastic in the wet.

If you do change, probably best to get a few miles in before Paris just to get the feel of them.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
I use M+ on all my bikes, 25mm on the road bike and 28mm on the commuter and hybrid. If you think 750g is heavy, in winter I use the marathon ice tyres and they weigh a kilo each.

Yeah, but we all know by now that you could ride further and faster than any of the rest of us on Fred Flintstone's bike...:okay:

Interesting to see that Gatorskins, which were my original thought to buy, are coming off so badly based on this thread. Good to know what to avoid as well as what to look for, though I guess pure chance plays a big part in all this anecdotal evidence too. Cheers.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
What I can say is the grip is not brilliant, particularly on cycle paths.

If you do change, probably best to get a few miles in before Paris just to get the feel of them.

I can only imagine the grip on the M Supremes would be better than on my current Contis, esp away from the tarmac. But like you I have nothing else to compare them with at present so I could be wrong. Good point on the latter though - I'd better get a wriggle on with this really hadn't I? Thanks.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
cdc576a9-885f-4a4c-86c1-b8c1b36f8b26.jpg

http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/wheels/tyres-and-tubes/road,-tt,-track-bike-tyres

http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/wheels...271097325&mc_cid=e77063d16d&mc_eid=977ad0ceae

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I9_vlLNOH7jPDmPUmy1Im8P6wUgZYQ-ijm-GVA1WAh0-434x768.jpg

My Gatorskin this afternoon less than 2 miles into my commute home. Couldn't find the cause of it, but unable to repair :sad:
Marathon plus are probably as good as you'll get, but the weight is noticeable, buy saying that I reckon i'll switch back on the winter/commuter bike :blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Durano Plus Etape was a special edition with a yellow Etape logo on. The regular Durano Plus is the same.

I've had to switch to these as my current commute is glass strewn. The tyres are cut up, but I've only had one hole from a large shard of glass. They work, if 50% heavier than I like.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Vittoria Rubino pro

But more importantly is rider style, road positioning and tyre pressure

Adam4868

Guru
Just bought another pair of specialized armadillo 25,had 23 last time and they were brilliant.Been using the 25s for a month and i cant tell difference.Like the tyres though and more impotantly trust them

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just bought another pair of specialized armadillo 25,had 23 last time and they were brilliant.Been using the 25s for a month and i cant tell difference.Like the tyres though and more impotantly trust them

The 23's are my commuting tyres of choice. Not the fastest rolling tyres, but they are pretty bombproof and last a good long time.

Adam4868

Guru
:biggrin:
The 23's are my commuting tyres of choice. Not the fastest rolling tyres, but they are pretty bombproof and last a good long time.
I guess ive nothing to compare them to because i use them on both my winter and summer bikes.Had some luganos for a while and also had punctures !! Im not going to jinx myself and say if ive had any on the specialized !

MarkF

Guru
M+'s for me, 8 years, 1000's of miles and no punctures. I am a plodder so I don't care about the weight, the extra 400g or so means nothing to me.

Top Bottom