Tyres which one do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My e-bike has 26 x 1.95 tyres which are silly wide for normal cycling on road, I never use it off road, and it seems sensible to go for a thinner tyre. The rim looks to narrow for the tyre. I also want some puncture resistance, so internet hunt found Schwalbe Marathon Plus SmartGuard Endurance Compound Wired 26" MTB Tyre with seven sizes to select from, most at £32.99 but raising to £43.99 for some sizes, but price not in order of thickness.

At these prices don't want to get it wrong, I am sure most 26" tyres will fit, but want to be able to pedal more and use motor less, only want to use motor for the hills, pedalling with tyres now fitted is hard work, I know 16 MPH is about the limit due to gearing, can't turn pedals fast enough to go much faster, but whole idea is to exercise and as it is to get reasonable road speed forced to use motor, which is not what I want.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Marathon pluses are pretty much bullet proof puncture wise but are real barstewards to fit and quite heavy, although that weight might not worry you on an e bike
You could opt for their Green Guard variant which is a reasonable compromise of price and performance.

OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

Size I have been looking at, the original seems far too fat for road use. I do from time to time use a canal tow path, but that is roughest road I use. Don't want racing tyres, but these seem far too thick.
1645969570874.png

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
This afternoon I removed the 2.25" tractor tyres on my MTB for the same reason and fitted a pair of Shwalbe 1.75 road tyres for the same reason, I don't ride off road. The difference is marked, much smoother to ride and a fair bit quicker too.

I use 26" Big Apple 2.1" tyres. They are quicj, comfortable and efficient on city roads. The fatness is an aerodynamic matter so only comes into play at higher speeds. At cruising speed rolling resistance is the bigger drag factor which is caused by stiff sidewalls and too much tread.

Top Bottom