Tyres...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Col5632

Guru
...I must admit i know very little about tyres so i'm hoping the fine people on here can help me out. :becool:

I currently ride a hybrid with 700 x 38C tyres on it, i've had 3 punctures on the front tyre in the last week and its been on the bike since i got it and done roughly 4-5,000 miles but i'm thinking it could do with being changed.

So my question is what kind of tyre and where from? I don't have a big budget so say no more than £25.

Thanks in advance

You ever changed the rear? Normally that wears faster, so if you haven't may be worth changing both. If you have, then buy the same new tyre for the font.

As for which tyre, it's up to you. I'd say for a hybrid, you'd want slicks, or at least non-knobblies. If you hate punctures go for Continental Gatorskins or Marathon Plus, but that's without checking prices.

If money is the main issue, work out what your second priority is (e.g. puncture protection) then just get the best Schwalbe, Continental, mitchellin or Vittoria tyre that 25 quid gets you.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
You ever changed the rear? Normally that wears faster, so if you haven't may be worth changing both. If you have, then buy the same new tyre for the font.

As for which tyre, it's up to you. I'd say for a hybrid, you'd want slicks, or at least non-knobblies. If you hate punctures go for Continental Gatorskins or Marathon Plus, but that's without checking prices.

If money is the main issue, work out what your second priority is (e.g. puncture protection) then just get the best Schwalbe, Continental, mitchellin or Vittoria tyre that 25 quid gets you.

I changed the rear around a year ago, i bought a cheapish kevlar protected semi slick from amazon at the time, just wondered if there was something better for my money out there, heard about Gatorskins and Marathon Plus before, where is best to buy tyres usually?

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
I have marathon plus, I think they are a brilliant tyre.

£29 a tyre on Wiggle, you may get them cheaper elsewhere

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-plus-smartguard-city-tyre/

May be a noddy question but did you check the tyre was clear of whatever caused the punctures?

I was just looking at that exact tyre aswell :thumbsup:

Yeah i checked the tyre outside and inside for any causes, last night was a tiny piece of glass that had put a slight cut in the tyre and made a tiny hole in the tube, think i've just been unlucky recently. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
I'll have a look at both these sites, thanks guys :thumbsup:

Top Bottom