Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
The MTB got zero use over the winter ;), so I'm thinking of using it as an 'alternative commuter'.

I've got MTB summer and winter tyres. What I'm looking for now is something:

1 inexpensive
2 predominantly slick
3 some side tread as the 'alternative commutes' will take in a bit of track/bridleway.

Probably considering a range 26 x [1.7-2.1]

any ideas?

ChrisKH

Guru
At the cheap end of the market, you could do worse than something from this line:-

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/section.php?xSec=4382

I've had a few sets from them. However if you are going to be doing some real mileage, you might want to increase your price range and go for something of a higher quality.

Or maybe from here:-

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti country ride.shtml

http://item.express.ebay.co.uk/AWES...191963132QQihZ003QQfromsoiZ1QQcmdZExpressItem

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/index.php?cPath=97

Tynan

Veteran
'Aggressive Urban Cycling'

what's that when it's at home, 60psi? wha?

tyres; so many choices for so few applications

domtyler

Über Member
Why don't they make reversible tyres which are slick on one side and knobbly on the other?

Keith Oates

Janner
By one side or the other I presume you mean either side of the outside of the tyre. Lean it to the right when on the road and to the left when off road. Seems like a good idea but do you think it will catch on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

domtyler

Über Member
BentMikey said:
What, when a second set costs perhaps £40? Pointless.

Not at all, what about if you wanted to cycle out to a woods thirty miles away by road, do a couple of hours off road and then cycle home on the road again?

domtyler

Über Member
Keith Oates said:
By one side or the other I presume you mean either side of the outside of the tyre. Lean it to the right when on the road and to the left when off road. Seems like a good idea but do you think it will catch on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, not quite. I was thinking more along the lines of a folding tyre with knobbles on one side and slick on the other. To swap you would remove the tyre, turn it inside out and stick it back on.

Keith Oates

Janner
On a more serious note, I used to commute on a mountain bike in Vietnam doing over 45 Km per day with full knobblies. Speed was, of course, slower than the roadie but I didn't find it a big bother and P******* were very rare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
domtyler said:
Not at all, what about if you wanted to cycle out to a woods thirty miles away by road, do a couple of hours off road and then cycle home on the road again?

Get folding ones and carry the blighters! Realistically speaking, this is not likely to be a common usage pattern, given the hassle factor of changing tyres.

mikeitup

Veteran
gambatte said:
The MTB got zero use over the winter ;), so I'm thinking of using it as an 'alternative commuter'.

I've got MTB summer and winter tyres. What I'm looking for now is something:

1 inexpensive
2 predominantly slick
3 some side tread as the 'alternative commutes' will take in a bit of track/bridleway.

Probably considering a range 26 x [1.7-2.1]

any ideas?

Schwalbe do some good cheap tyres with puncture protection.
Their popular slick city jets are £23ish a pair on wiggle (worth checking wiggle for other schwalbe tyres). I have road cruisers which have treads but are for commuting but can cope with towpaths etc too. £18 pair off ebay. (look for fredstreads ebay store)

hope this helps

buddha

Veteran
I use(d) some Conti Twisters for just this purpose - old MTB conversion.
Although the Twister Pro looks a better choice as it's lighter. Not a semi-slick, but worth it when encountering the occasional bit of mud or wet grass.

Top Bottom