Tyresome stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bloody potholes. Out on my Giant today I thought my rims were out of true and it turned out to be a bulge in my tyre.

I took it to the LBS and they promptly sorted me out with a new tyre but now I'm left withe two different tyres - one is a Kenda, from the original, and the new one is a Panaracer. The LBS swore they were alright together but is this okay?

Thought I'd doublecheck with the cyclechat gurus???

bauldbairn

It's really down to personal choice/preference. The main difference will be tyres by another manufacturer will be made from different materials - and will therfore give different handling characteristics,grip,wear etc. Some people may actually chose different tyre manufacturers/sizes for these very reasons.
I like my tyres to be a matching pair - bought at the same time and swapped front to rear till I exchange for another pair.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
They'll be fine. I often run mismatched tyres, usually because when the rear wears out, I move the front to the rear, and put a new tyre on the front. I don't always buy the same brand. On my recumbent, I run a larger size tyre on the rear, because the rear carries a lot more weight.

Tynan

Veteran
if you mean like car, yes they will

any change in handling etc will be the same as changing both to a different type

potholes have so far this year bust two wheels and a tyre and dented the rim of the new rear wheel twice

I'm going to put a lot of flats down to chance rather than potholes, and I suspect swerving like a loon in and out is going to cause a problem at some point

mossy

I run two different types of tyres and noticed no difference.
Pots holes everywhere here in Worcestershire.
Really bad especially hidden under puddles!!

Even the large motorway island nearby needs repairing!!!

Maz

Guru
The main thing is to make sure the rotation arrows on the tyres are pointing in the right direction. If not, disorientating, mild headaches may ensue whilst riding.

[joke]

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Odd tyres are OK, even if slightly different sizes they'll not affevt handling etc.
BUT!
It's a good idea to put the new/better tyre on the FRONT as this is where you want the most grip and performance, better thye bak end slide than the front. Also sudden rear-tyre p*nctures are less 'hazardous' than a rapid front deflation.

Tynan

Veteran
99% of my flats happen on the rear, that's why my newest tyre goes, the fronts last for ever relatively

one fast flat while riding ever I think, granted it was as I made a sharp right over wet cherry blossom

yes, it hurt

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
mossy said:
I run two different types of tyres and noticed no difference.
Pots holes everywhere here in Worcestershire.
Really bad especially hidden under puddles!!

Even the large motorway island nearby needs repairing!!!

Yep, that's about the sum of it. I actually left a bit later than normal yesterday and got caught badly in the ensuing monsoon...only to find that upon my return, it brightened up a treat.

Assume that every puddle is your last...;)

Top Bottom