ubuntu installation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
so once i format the laptop how do i install ubuntu? or do i have to install windows first.

i have a file of ubuntu 8.10 isofile on my desktop, appreciate it is old, can i install this from a datastick?

help appreciated

so once i format the laptop how do i install ubuntu? or do i have to install windows first.

i have a file of ubuntu 8.10 isofile on my desktop, appreciate it is old, can i install this from a datastick?

help appreciated

You'd use the ISO to burn a bootable CD or create a bootable USB stick and install from there (usually the latter is pretty easy). You need to have a computer that allows boot from USB of course (though most do). Download the current version though because it'll only end up upgrading itself anyway

There are easy-peasy instructions here and they link to a nifty Windows utility to write to the USB stick too. The USB stick will be repartioned and formatted though so won't work in Windows after - you'll need to delete the partitions on it after the install and reformat to something Windows likes (FAT, FAT32 etc) but that's easy enough using Ubuntu's partition manager or DISKPART in Windows (DISKPART is a bit techie and dangerous though, so message back if you decide to play with it).

No need to reformat the old laptop first. The Ubuntu installer will guide you through that - giving you the option to "use the whole disk" (i.e. delete Windows and all your files, photo's, programs, music and so on)or to set up a dual boot. You can also use the bootable USB stick to try out Ubuntu without actually installing it (just to see if you like it / your computer likes it).

Edited to say:

PS: The Windows installer that I used last (last week) did not have an entry for Ubuntu 10.10 but don't worry, choose the option "Other Linux Distro" at the bottom of the drop down list.

Edited again to say:

Looks like the USB Installer does support 10.10 as of 18th October

If you have any intention of running windows ever again (in conjunction with ubuntu), you need to have windows installed first, then ubuntu. You can't install windows 'on top of' ubuntu without losing the ubuntu, but you can install ubuntu on top of windows. (or at least this used to be the case).

I've done a USB install to my laptop (dual booting with windows 7). I did it from a USB stick.

I'd get a newer version of ubuntu if I were you.

Happy installing!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Actually Window 7 is better behaved then it's predecessors, it won't format the whole hard drive, it ask which partition you want to install it on and leaves the rest untouched. However, it will over write the MBR so you have reinstall GRUB afterwards, but that is easily done from a live CD.

As to installing Ubuntu, that is just a breeze, boot from a CD or USB stick and follow the instructions, ever version seems to get easier...

Top Bottom