Ubuntu

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carwash

Señor Member
Van Nick said:
It's a computer operating system used by people with long beards and leather patches on the elbows of their jackets.

i.e people who know what they're doing. ;)

Jaded

Van Nick said:
It's a computer operating system used by people with long beards and leather patches on the elbows of their jackets.

Oh, I see.

Is it only cyclists that use it then?

I am impressed with the speed of Ubuntu compared to Windows.. I'm using it on a 256M 1ghz PC and it flies. with regards to network settings does ifconfig not fix it .. ie ifconfig interface down and up ? You'll have to run the up/down as root or use sudo cmd.

Canrider

Guru
You'll find that XP and Vista also can hang network connections when the screen saver or sleep modes activate..

PrettyboyTim

Dannyg said:
What the heck is ubuntu:wacko:

It's a version of Linux, an operating system much like Microsoft Windows.

The big difference is that is that it is free for anyone to use or modify for their own needs, and much of the program code has been written by volunteers.

The basics of web surfing, emailing, writing letters etc are pretty similar to Windows, and if you can do the basics on one you can do the basics on the other.

Linux isn't very well served for games, though.

Carwash

Señor Member
PrettyboyTim said:
Linux isn't very well served for games, though.

Unless you like Quake (III) or... Tux Racer(!)... or... FreeSpace 2... or... nope, that's all I can think of.

red_tom

There's always Wine for games.

Top Bottom