UK campsite prices for solo travellers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just having a look around at a mini tour of east anglia, and the price of pitches seems to be exorbitant for solo travelers. One nice looking site, The Orchard is charging £25.00/pitch regardless of the number of people. If you have a family of 5 in a tent, it represents good value but I could stay in a nice hotel room for the same.
What is a good guidline price. Should there be discounts for small /solo tents.
Does anyone know of any decent campsites from N of Felixstowe around the Hunstanton that are good value. Or any wildcamping sites.
And why does the coolcamping website not use a fecking map.

andym

Über Member
Prices really are hugely variable. Some campsites charge a fixed rate for the pitch, but many (most?) make a charge for the pitch plus a charge per person. It depends a bit on whether it's campsite that has fixed-size pitches or one that's a bit more informal.

If you use Cool Camping and then go to Hunstanton you probably are in for a double whammy (but a nice hotel room for £25 in Hunstanton? In your dreams - although there is the YHA at Wells-Next-the-Sea). Try ukcampsites.co.uk

If you're a regular camper then the Camping and Caravanning Club has a Backpacker rate.

albion

Guru
Busy areas are not bothered about 'backpackers' but I sense a fair percentage of sites do have a backpacker rate, often unpublished.

andym

Über Member
The CCC started as a club for cycle campers so the Backpacker rate is an official thing they do —as a nod to their history if you like. Other campsites, well yes if they're not busy then they might not whack you for the full rate. Sometimes sites will also advertise a rate that's based on two adults plus car although their rate card will have a rate based on per person and per pitch.

Oh and if you're thinking Easter or a Bank Holiday weekend they are pretty much super-peak season as people who probably wouldn't go camping for a main holiday take off to places like Hunstanton.

Just guessing ....... they don't actually want solo travellers? You lower the tone, don't you know?

I think most campsite owners would prefer to have some elderly geezer with his bike (and trusty Trangia), than a group of 18 year-olds.

Last edited:

sidevalve

Über Member
To be fair you take up pretty much the same room as a family of five you require pretty much the same facilities and require pretty much the same insurance premiums. You even offer less in revenue to any camp shops or café’s - this is the real world not some fantasy cyclist utopia and camp sites are there to make a profit. If you fancy a cheap trip why not try the old YHA. They're not some ode worlde joke and they do offer cheap accommodation.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Agree, i wouldn't pay much more. I'd rather pedal past and free camp close by. I blame middle class twonks and their glamping/teepees - teepees FFS!
I was at one of my favourite campsites in Derbyshire, Haddon Grove inbetween Bakewell and Monyash. It has been a campsite for decades and is used as a base for DofE groups, it was at the time still a working dairy farm.
I was walking past a group of these 'middle class twonks' and overheard 2 of them talking about the farmyard 'aroma' " You'd think they'd do something about the smell" one of em said "Maybe we should report them to the council" replied the other. :banghead:

L Q

Über Member
Any more than £10 a night for camping with a bike and small tent is a rip off.
Not sure I agree, it's all about the standard of campsite. I stayed at two campsites in the outer Hebrides that was over £10 and one was well worth the £15 but the other one at £11 was a disgrace and shouldn't have been open.

Top Bottom