UK Domestic Racing - Spring Cup, Women's Road Series etc. **spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Very big field in the Tour of the Wolds, 100+, and all the top teams riding. UCI squads Team WNT and Drops Cycling both entered. Lots of quality domestic riders too.

I understand the course has been shortened which will help the domestic teams, now only 60 miles.

My 2 cents, Jennifer George of Storey Racing will do well. so too Jennifer Holden of Fusion, but my money would be on Rebecca Durrell of Drops.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Buddfox

Buddfox

Veteran
I saw an article somewhere (in the last few days) that said BC registrations for female racing licences were up 43% this year, which is great news.

Proto

Legendary Member
Also a mention for Pfeiffer Georgi who is riding on Sunday. First year junior and recent winner of Junior Gent Wevelgem. Very good rider.

Last edited:
Klondike was an awesome route and is on my door step. Hope it becomes a regular and help make the Tees Valley the place to be on the domestic scene.

Over the last couple of years we have had the Tour De Yorkshire (Middlesbrough), UK championships (Stockton) and now Klondike (Guisbrough) come to visit. I am looking forward to 2019 when we get another major race.

OP
OP
Buddfox

Buddfox

Veteran
Just watching the Durham Tour Series highlights on Eurosport - quite a win from Tom Pidcock. Haven't seen him before doing cyclocross but he looks to have some serious talent...

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Seems like a great all-round talent - the new Peter Sagan?

lyn1

Über Member
Seems like a great all-round talent - the new Peter Sagan?

...and hopefully not the next Arnaud Jouffroy. Arnaud is the same year group as Sagan and rode against him in their earlier years. He won the World Junior Cyclo Cross Champs, under 23 World Cyclo Cross Champs and the World XC MTB Champs. He was also a leading young French hope on the roads. Arnaud Demare who went on to win MSR was one of his support riders in their junior years. He is now 27 years old and doesn’t ride a bike.

The junior category is a two year age band, the U23 is 4 years and seniors about 15 years. Juniors develop at different rates. Some mature early or do more training quality/volume. Some receive extensive financial, technical and coaching support while others, even those representing their county, get far less.support. It is therefore no surprise that there may be an balancing out in later years. The BC Academy is probably one the most developed in the World so it is no surprise that the youngsters on that programme are advanced and get strong results in their early years.

Tom is clearly very talented and has access to good advice, so hopefully will continue his upward trajectory.

oldroadman

Veteran
He's certainly talented so I hope he is well managed in the years through to maturity. Too many talented juniors are used up when young when with correct guidance they could have a successful career. His racing development does remind me of Roger Hammond, and he didn't do too badly, did he?

Top Bottom