UK Media ReportIng Consultation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
weasel reporting

I have no idea what this means in this context.

Could you elaborate?

OP
OP
S

sheddy

Legendary Member
Oh the usual rubbish seen in the papers -
cyclist in collision with car
accident,
rather than crash
the car left the road
etc

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Oh the usual rubbish seen in the papers -
cyclist in collision with car
accident,
rather than crash
the car left the road
etc

I can't see anything so bad with the above.

"In collision with" is a rather dull phrase, but it does meet the requirement not to apportion blame - unless it's blindingly obvious or there's a police statement to say they are seeking a hit and run driver.

It's a simple fact the cyclist is 'outside', as in astride, his bike whereas the car driver is inside his car.

Thus in any crash/collision, the cyclist will collide with the car, not the driver, unless the poor cyclist is propelled through the windscreen of the car and smacks into the driver.

Most complaints on here about reporting are from posters who perceive slights against cyclists where there are none.

Too many words in the linked guidelines, but what I did read of them looked fair enough.

Drago

Legendary Member
"Lycra clad" always amuses me, like that's a remarkable thing about a cyclist, or that it's somehow pertinent to what happened.
"Cotton clad motorist" and "Denim clad pedestrian" aren't nearly so well used by journalists I find.
That annoys me too. Its funny how the Daily Mail's drunken football shirt and Doc Marten boot wearing readership get so incensed about a cyclist having the temerity to wesr practical riding apparel.

icowden

Veteran
"In collision with" is a rather dull phrase, but it does meet the requirement not to apportion blame - unless it's blindingly obvious or there's a police statement to say they are seeking a hit and run driver.

Actually I think it does because of the way you read the sentence.
  • Cyclist in collision with car automatically makes you think the cyclist is at fault.
  • Car in collision with cyclist gives the reverse impression.

Top Bottom