UK Police – Dereliction of Duty

Are you getting fair treatment from the Police when making complaints about unsafe driver behaviour?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
I just want to get an idea of how many cyclist have problems with the Police refusing to charge drivers verses how many think the Police are doing a fair or even a good job at policing behaviour around cyclist when presented with evidence such as this

View: https://youtu.be/Y7lUJx4aNnY

I am not thinking about there the Police have no evidence other that opposing statements, I am only focusing to instances where the Police have been given video evidence, either from a cyclist’s camera, motorists, or even street CCTV video.
Would like to be able to look at a video of an incident, and judge for myself the standard of Policing, without too much he said, she said. Just evidence and results.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have looked at this a few times and must admit that I can see how the police can have trouble using this type of footage for evidence. Because of the fish eye lens effect it is hard to gauge just how close the car is. It may have been very close to you but it doesnt look that bad on film.

It appears that when the police have good evidence that they can work with, they are acting on it.

You need to revise your polling choices. Your heading makes me think you are only interested at having a go at the police.

the snail

Guru
Because of the fish eye lens effect it is hard to gauge just how close the car is. It may have been very close to you but it doesnt look that bad on film.
Looks terrible to me, if you watch the pass from the forward cam, it looks very close - about a foot maybe. Beeping horn - clearly a punishment pass. If you wanted to demonstrate how close this was, you could put the bike a measured distance from a parked car and film it to compare. No reason I can see not to get a conviction for careless driving, other than the police CBA, CGAF.

Cams can't be used as evidence if it is t demonstrate distance or speed as they're not calibrated and wouldn't stand up in court.

I have had a couple of set pieces. One was a left hook, which was unmistakeable, and another was pulling out of a junction.

In both cases I was helped by the drivers lying

In the first case he denied the manoeuvre completely, and the second one blamed me because I had no lights.......then had to explain to the Police what was illuminating the side of their car.

Both were cautioned, and the former lost their job.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Evidence from it can though, the road can be measured, the car, and bike can, and any mark on the road the vehicle wheels touched can be plotted to prove positions.

I am playing devils advocate here.

I appreciate this is a close pass and not an accident. With the ressources the police have, do you really want them to be viewing videos and coming out to measure roads and then go searching for the driver of the car?

Or would you think that was a waste of their ressources?

There must be 1000s of these passes every working day. Do they investigation them all?

I have had plenty of close passes but I just got on with it if contact wasn't made.

PK99

Legendary Member

I appreciate this is a close pass and not an accident. With the ressources the police have, do you really want them to be viewing videos and coming out to measure roads and then go searching for the driver of the car?

There must be 1000s of these passes every working day. Do they investigation them all?

I have had plenty of close passes but I just got on with it if contact wasn't made.

I'd like the police to go searching for the two cyclists who nearly hit me and other pedestrians last Tuesday at 1315hrs on the Zebra outside the British Museum. Cars both ways were stopped, cyclists barreled through without hesitating, forcing several pedestrians to take avoiding action - given the location there must be CCTV.

OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
Would never happen fur anything less than a serious injury or death.
Is that because the Police are not taking dangerous behaviour around cyclists as seriously as other things? Say Shoplifting for example, generally the item the shoplifter took are either back in the possession of the shop, or very easily retrieved yet even without any physical harm caused to anyone the Police will attend and charge. Seems a little strange to rely on a cyclist needing to be injured or killed before the Police will charge someone. Are you sure this is the criteria the Police actually work on, it sounds sick to me.

OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member

It really depends of how stretched the Police are and how much they care about lives, verses trivial acts like a few percent above the limit where there is clearly minimal risk in many of the cases yet they feel they need to spend resources on they. I don't think your advocate understands how it works, they just call the driver on the phone or go to the drivers house, no need for a manhunt.

Top Bottom