UK Static Speed Cameras - Why are they not front facing...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hello.

I'm sure some, or perhaps many despise Static Speed Cameras, I definately don't.

With most or all Static Speed Cameras working from behind cars, as they pass - I was wondering why this was the case ?
Anyone know why it would not make more sense to photo the front of a speeding vehicle in the act.

Cars often slow for a camera as they pass, but I think front facing ones would get more results.

I guess the technology for back vs front might be different?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I assume that the flash from the camera directly in the drivers eyes is not a safe thing to do. I do know of a couple of front facing ones around.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I assume that the flash from the camera directly in the drivers eyes is not a safe thing to do. I do know of a couple of front facing ones around.

I was given that as the excuse by one of the safety camera twitter accounts but it doesn’t make sense.
If I’m driving towards one when a speeder coming the other way triggers it, I get the flash in my view anyway. If it wasn’t safe for that to happen then they wouldn’t be used at all.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I was given that as the excuse by one of the safety camera twitter accounts but it doesn’t make sense.
If I’m driving towards one when a speeder coming the other way triggers it, I get the flash in my view anyway. If it wasn’t safe for that to happen then they wouldn’t be used at all.

The flash and camera would be aimed at the other lane, not yours.

glasgowcyclist

The flash and camera would be aimed at the other lane, not yours.

The flash covers the whole width of a 4-lane road.

Here’s a typical setup near me. Notice that the markings cover all lanes.

A0B6E31D-F3B8-4DF7-8EDE-27FABFC9470B.jpeg

a.twiddler

Veteran
If riding a historic motor bike you would have a rear plate and two front ones, mounted either side of the "pedestrian slicer" metal plate attached in line with the front mudguard. Still not visible to a front camera, and non reflective to boot. Of course, a "speed camera" in those days would be a hefty hair dryer device pointed at you by a roadside police officer. Ah, nostalgia. The random things that CC threads bring to mind.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The flash covers the whole width of a 4-lane road.

Here’s a typical setup near me. Notice that the markings cover all lanes.

View attachment 648232

As I said - the flash will not be aimed over the whole road, just the lane it is monitoring for the rear facing camera (your example is a Gatso). Truvelo cameras (forward facing) use an IR flash which will not blind a driver.

glasgowcyclist

As I said - the flash will not be aimed over the whole road, just the lane it is monitoring for the rear facing camera (your example is a Gatso). Truvelo cameras (forward facing) use an IR flash which will not blind a driver.

But the markings are placed across the oncoming lanes too. According to the same safety camera person, this is to catch any speeding drivers who cross to the other side in a vain attempt to avoid a ticket.

And I can assure you, from personal experience, that the flash covers drivers travelling towards it.

(I don’t think we have Truvelo cameras in Scotland, only ever seen them down south.)

Top Bottom