UK SUV Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
And inversely the space inside them gets smaller. My sister had an Audi A6 and the cabin was tiny very claustrophobic!

This! How did we manage to get 4 adults in a Mini or a C1? It's madness....

Fab Foodie

An a6 is a saloon. The q5 will have a smaller foot print but because it is an suv, and as such higher, the passengers will get more room. So, smaller footprint, more space but can suv. It’s why people buy them.

Nonsense (though I get your point)....
Currently driving a Dacia Jogger as a long-term hire car, not a big car, not as big as an A6 but the internal space is relatively huuuge. It's poor design and over-stuffing of car internals to give that 'cosseted' feel makes modern big car internals feel small. The bigger and more luxurious the car, the relatively smaller the internal human space becomes.

markemark

Über Member
Nonsense (though I get your point)....
Currently driving a Dacia Jogger as a long-term hire car, not a big car, not as big as an A6 but the internal space is relatively huuuge. It's poor design and over-stuffing of car internals to give that 'cosseted' feel makes modern big car internals feel small. The bigger and more luxurious the car, the relatively smaller the internal human space becomes.

Cars are 3D. Saloons have larger and larger width and length. SUVs have larger heights. We tested various cars and for similar space for our teenage kids in the back saloons were nearly 1m in length longer than the SUV.

SUVs have smaller footprint for comparable internal space . In terms of road space that’s a good thing.

Fab Foodie

Cars are 3D. Saloons have larger and larger width and length. SUVs have larger heights. We tested various cars and for similar space for our teenage kids in the back saloons were nearly 1m in length longer than the SUV.

SUVs have smaller footprint for comparable internal space . In terms of road space that’s a good thing.

Yes, of course it's simple packaging. If you sit people more upright you'll fit more people into a defined footprint (hence a few years ago the trend for 'People Carriers'). However, IMO a lot of SUV's don't actually do that very well, especially those touted as 'Luxury' brands.
Longer's not so much of a problem anyhow. Width and height are....

markemark

Über Member
Yes, of course it's simple packaging. If you sit people more upright you'll fit more people into a defined footprint (hence a few years ago the trend for 'People Carriers'). However, IMO a lot of SUV's don't actually do that very well, especially those touted as 'Luxury' brands.
Longer's not so much of a problem anyhow. Width and height are....
When I’m sharing the road on my bike the biggest dimensional threat to me is the width which eats into my road space. The wider the car the less space I have. The length and height are pretty irrelevant. I am purely talking about dimensions, not how the car is being driven.

The weight is also irrelevant beyond a certain weight. If I get hit by a car that’s 20 or 30’times my weight makes no difference. Once it goes beyond equitable then it’s irrelevant.

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
I am purely talking about dimensions, not how the car is being driven.
But isn't how it is driven the important bit? I've been properly overtaken by lorries who pulled nice and wide to go past me. The issue wasn't the width of the vehicle, just that they new how to safely overtake in a large vehicle. If anything I prefer the wider cars as the drivers can't try the "I'll pass him between those centre bollards" trick, or the "I'm going to push my way past regardless trick".

markemark

Über Member
But isn't how it is driven the important bit? I've been properly overtaken by lorries who pulled nice and wide to go past me. The issue wasn't the width of the vehicle, just that they new how to safely overtake in a large vehicle. If anything I prefer the wider cars as the drivers can't try the "I'll pass him between those centre bollards" trick, or the "I'm going to push my way past regardless trick".

Yes but this thread is about suvs. Of course how it’s driven is critical. But that’s independent of whether it’s an suv or not. To ban SUVs and not other cars is talking about the difference between those cars, not how they’re driven.

Fab Foodie

When I’m sharing the road on my bike the biggest dimensional threat to me is the width which eats into my road space. The wider the car the less space I have. The length and height are pretty irrelevant. I am purely talking about dimensions, not how the car is being driven.

Agreed. Width also makes car-parks difficult these days. Height is an issue in 2 ways - as the article states higher bonnet heights cause more severe injuries and increased overall height (especially with tinted windows) create more of a wall to see past; both when parked by the pavement or moving on the road.
Height also gives an air of superiority and detachment to other road users, though it does allow the driver greater visibility...if only they took advantage of it :ohmy:;)

Jody

Stubborn git
Quite normal in the 60s to take four persons to work in my Austin Mini 848cc 7miles from Stamford to South Luffenham and back again.

4 people in a classic Mini was lethal

I saw what happened to mine at around 15mph impact speed. It was cut up and thrown in a quarry after that and I vowed never to own another.

Top Bottom