UK SUV Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markemark

Über Member
I've signed-it.
It's an issue worth raising IMO despite the petition being poorly worded, I think most people know what's meant by it.
Nudging people to use smaller, less imposing, more efficient, less harmful vehicles can only be a good thing surely? It's not perfect but every little helps. There are plenty reasons why these vehicles are not appropriate, particularly in cities.
There's also this recently.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/aug/26/more-than-150-car-models-too-big-for-regular-uk-parking-spaces#:~:text=More than 150 car models are now too big to,phenomenon known as “autobesity”.

Also saw a distraught W'panzer driver protesting with the Traffic Warden because he'd been given a parking fine as his car didn't fit within the parking space - made me chuckle!
They should be called Sports Futility Vehicles....

Why is my zero emission incredibly efficient SUVthat is large enough to carry my family not appropriate? To note, the majority of fully electric cars are SUVs. Where is the harm or imposition? Should I replace it with the small diesel car my neighbour has? Maybe a smaller one that doesn’t meet our needs and we don’t all comfortably fit it so we buy a second car or have to be squashed in? Or shall we buy a saloon car that’s a much larger footprint for the same internal size?

Last edited:
Can't imagine King Charles ditching his huge Rolls Royce and Range Rover etc.

So?

[ I think - as noted by others - that KC is actually quite open to green initiative, but anyway:]

So?

Dadam

Why is my zero emission incredibly efficient SUVthat is large enough to carry my family not appropriate? To note, the majority of fully electric cars are SUVs. Where is the harm or imposition? Should I replace it with the small diesel car my neighbour has? Maybe a smaller one that doesn’t meet our needs and we don’t all comfortably fit it so we buy a second car or have to be squashed in? Or shall we buy a saloon car that’s a much larger footprint for the same internal size?

Indeed. And my 330D GT Xdrive that at 1800kg is presumably caught under "heavy cars" too, but is the single most useful and practical car I've ever owned, with larger boot space than the 3 series estate. I've no intention of replacing it at the moment. Engine is Euro 6 so ULEZ compliant (not that I've any intention of going to London). I own it outright, it (touches wood) has been very reliable, super smooth, fun to drive and extremely comfortable for long trips. It does less than 4k miles per year and these days as I either bike to work or WFH is used mainly for family holidays and taking stuff to the tip.

albion

Guru
Global warming means it is neccessary to adopt the Wales solution. 20mph.

That is possinoy the only way to reduce car usage. In the long term cars will only be for the super rich.
Though I am very unconfident we have any long term

Jody

Stubborn git
Global warming means it is neccessary to adopt the Wales solution. 20mph.

No it isn't. The most fuel efficient speed for a car is still 40-50MPH.

Jody

Stubborn git

No body mentioned average speeds.

You were talking about 20 limits for environmental reasons. Wales introduced them on the grounds of safety.

albion

Guru
The environment too.
'In 20mph zones vehicles move more smoothly with fewer accelerations and decelerations. This driving style produces fewer particulate emissions. '

Top Bottom