UK's fastest 100mile TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
The winner's average speed in the TDF is only about 25mph. I think we've got another champion in the making.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
To me, a TT is a race between multiple competitors.
This was a record attempt.
I don't know any formal definitions of either term, so I might be out of my depth here ...

In a time-trial the riders must start at not less than minute intervals. In this case the interval was 27yrs (Ian Cammish's 1993 record).

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/8802...st-100-miles-cycled-set-in-2-hours-20-minutes

(probably already on this forum somewhere, but new to me!)
A slightly different angle to this record attempt:

"
There was a reason Ornee attempted this new record, of course, not simply because he wanted to get dizzy around a speedway track. In fact, it was after an incident that many of us cyclists are faced with at least once in our riding careers.

'Last May I was hit by an SUV while cycling. It was a near-death experience that has changed my life. After post-crash surgery, I recovered while riding indoors to rebuild fitness, but I was hesitant to get back on the road,' explained Ornee.

'Honestly, I was scared. Cars and bikes clash too often. We’re supposed to share the roads, but several issues including poor infrastructure, driver education, distracted driving and road rage – because that cyclist forced me to slow down for five seconds – regularly place cyclists in danger.

'Fast moving bikes belong on the road. Heck, we can go over 42mph for 100 miles! Going over 10mph isn’t safe on a shared sidewalk or bike path with walkers, dogs, families and driveways.

'Cars and bikes can and should co-exist! They shouldn’t be enemies, they should be friends! Frustrated and scared for my life, I thought, wouldn’t it be cool if a car and bike teamed up for a change and did something spectacular?'

"

I'd like to see him do that in the opposite direction!

GuyBoden

Guru
My uncle Alan Boden was a sub 4hr hundred miler back in the sixties when there were very few riders that quick.

How times have changed.

nat%20100.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was watching a video of Graeme Obree in a wind tunnel in a different thread earlier, and his original crouched position was a bit like the position in those photos (only with his arms tucked in more) and equally uncomfortable-looking!

Anthony.R.Brown

I was watching a video of Graeme Obree in a wind tunnel in a different thread earlier, and his original crouched position was a bit like the position in those photos (only with his arms tucked in more) and equally uncomfortable-looking!

Hi the tucked in position only looks uncomfortable :smile: when a person is fit the spine etc. is very flexible,of all the riders Alf Engers was really the Master of this type of position.

2alf6-jpg.jpg

A.R.B

Top Bottom