Ultegra 6800 noisey chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanG1

I have a full 6800 compact ultegra groupset including the chain on my Ribble.
Its now done around 400 miles and I have cleaned and lubed it, it hasn't got wet but it seems really noisey on the big ring. Its not a chain line thing as it appears the same in the middle of the cassette as at the top or bottom. Its not as noticeable in the small ring. It sounds similar to chain rub (I thought it was at first but definitely not)
Anyone else with the same set up have similar issues? I hadn't realised how loud it had become till I rode my old 2300 triple the other night which ran silently in comparison?

lpretro1

Just needs adjustment of cable tension I'd guess

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wot he sed. After 400 miles cables have bedded down and need tweaking. Learn to do this yourself and don't rely on a "service". Usually unscrewing the adjuster on the rear derailleur by a turn or so will do the job by effectively shortening the cable.

OP
OP
I

IanG1

No its not set up or cable tension, I have tweaked it as the cable as stretched then even resorted to setting it up from scratch for both the front and rear mech. It definitely sounds like the chain itself that's making the noise?

zizou

Veteran
It's a fairly common issue because of the tigher clearances of 11 speed - if things are just slightly out of alignment (but otherwise shifting and operating fine) then rubbing can happen - Some chains are worse than others, KMC are in my experience quieter than the shimano ones

OP
OP
I

IanG1

So it seems, just found a similar post and Bikeradar where a swap to a KMC chain quietened things down? Not what you expect from a £500 groupset having to swap the chain after 400 miles :angry:

bpsmith

Veteran
So it seems, just found a similar post and Bikeradar where a swap to a KMC chain quietened things down? Not what you expect from a £500 groupset having to swap the chain after 400 miles :angry:
It's not the groupset at fault, it's potentially the £19.99 chain. A KMC replacement is more like £34.99. Go figure why it's better?

OP
OP
I

IanG1

Good point, shame that Shimano seem fit to cut corners on the chain when everything else is so good.

subaqua

What’s the point
shimano cheese chain.

I use KMC from wiggle for a fraction of the price but far better quality. 6K from last one, with an occasional mickle clean .......

zizou

Veteran
Good point, shame that Shimano seem fit to cut corners on the chain when everything else is so good.

With the Shimano chain you might be able to quieten it down a fair bit by wiping it (and the inside contact point of the derailleurs too) and relubing, just a small amount of dirt or grit seems to make a big difference on the noise levels.

Incidentally i believe it is KMC who are the company that manufactures Shimano chains!

huwsparky

Über Member
Never had a problem with my 6800 on either of the two chains is had (Shimano). Highly unlikely a hardware fault IMO. Didn't experience any noise issues during the 'chain stretch' period either.

Top Bottom