Ultegra 6800 question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanG1

Any thought if this is normal, Ultegra 6800 with 50/34 front and 11/28 11 speed rear. Set it all up and shifts nicely but noticed when in big ring and up on the top 4 at the rear and I rotate the crank arm backwards the chain line looks a bit extreme and the chain will click as it centres back on the sprocket every 6 inch of chain travel or so. Don't notice the noise when rotating forward. Understand cross chaining etc but seems a bit extreme when 4 or so cogs down from top. Had 8 speed previously and this was never evident, is this an 11speed trait? Any tips or advise appreciated???

simon.r

Person
There's a 'half shift' position on the front shifter, try shifting down into that position.

It's always going to be a bit of a compromise, mess around with the trim adjustment, until you get the compromise which works best for you.

OP
OP
I

IanG1

I know about the trim, the click is coming from the chain centring on the rear sprocket not from it catching on the front mech?

No tips, just confirmation that I've noticed exactly the same thing (11 speed 105). Given the severity of the chain line, it's not exactly surprising I suppose. There is a similarly-derived noise when the chain is going forwards due to the angle on the lower dérailleur cog, though that's far less noticeable. (I know it's the angle in the latter case since aligning the rear hanger to point the dérailleur towards the large chainring makes it go away - obviously I realigned it afterwards; I just wanted to confirm where the slight noise was coming from.)

e-rider

crappy member
Any thought if this is normal, Ultegra 6800 with 50/34 front and 11/28 11 speed rear. Set it all up and shifts nicely but noticed when in big ring and up on the top 4 at the rear and I rotate the crank arm backwards the chain line looks a bit extreme and the chain will click as it centres back on the sprocket every 6 inch of chain travel or so. Don't notice the noise when rotating forward. Understand cross chaining etc but seems a bit extreme when 4 or so cogs down from top. Had 8 speed previously and this was never evident, is this an 11speed trait? Any tips or advise appreciated???
you could add 1 extra link to the chain - this is likely to help a bit. IME most factory fitted chains are 1 link shorter than they could be.

lpretro1

The 6800 is a bit noisy when new - the noise will go away with wearing in on chainrings. There is an extra click when going down into the innner chainring which often catches people out. Slack fd cable off and make sure you have defo selected the 'lowest' position then reset cable & tension

I know about the trim, the click is coming from the chain centring on the rear sprocket not from it catching on the front mech?
Thoroughly unhelpful I know but I couldn't resist...one of the things I like about di2 is that those issues pretty much vanish. (Even on a 50/34 - 11/32 setup)

But back on topic, I had exactly the same issue when I was running standard 6800.

Ajax Bay

Guru
and I rotate the crank arm backwards

Is this something you do regularly when cycling? If not (ie not regularly), does it matter?

rovers1875

Veteran
I have Ultegra 6800 with a very similar set up and yes I have had the same problems when new, now 4 our months in and a little fine tweaking it seems to have been sorted. I must admit I was very un impressed given all the hype, but now its bedded in and properly tuned in, The gear changing is very slick.

screenman

Legendary Member
Have you checked rear mech alignment? Most people do not and I am yet to check one that does not need tweaking.

Top Bottom