Ultegra 6800 short cage with 11-32 cassette, will it work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goosander

Über Member
Does anyone know whether an Ultegra 6800 short cage mech will work with an 11-32 cassette and 36/46 crank?

The Shimano web site says 28T max but lists the total capacity as being 33T which suggests the mech can wrap enough chain for an 11-32 cassette when used with a 36/46 crank. So I guess the question is are the SS & GS mechs identical other than cage length, or does the GS have other differences that enable it to clear a 32T sprocket?

Anyone know for sure?

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
No, the short cage SS would not be enough. You need a GS.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I went into this in great detail as I wanted to put a 11 - 32 on my Focus Cayo Di2. Did all the internet research and asked at two very well respected LBS's. The answer is 'No' unless you have a long cage 'GS' rear mech. The long cage mech is 90mm between jockey wheel centres. The short cage (SS) mech is 60mm.
The cheapest way to get lower gearing on short cage Ultegra is to change one, or both, front chain rings.
I was lucky, in that the Cayo came with a long cage rear mech as standard. Phew! :smile:
PS. 46 seems a bit low for the large ring to me. I'm running 52/36.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

goosander

Über Member
Ok, thanks for the confirmation, will order a GS.

BTW, I don't find 46 too low on the front, my current setup is 46/36 & 12-30 which is fine for me, only spin out on decent downhills and no doubt the change to 11T will sort that. I've always wondered who can make use of 50T or larger chainrings, but then I'm no roadie and my bike is a cyclocross / do it all bike.

bpsmith

Veteran
Depends on how steep the descent is and how fast you like to descend too. I love powering down descents and in South Wales I regularly spin out the 50:11 combination.

zacklaws

Guru
I too have a cyclo cross 46/36 to a 11/32 cassette, (SRAM) initially I thought the 46 would be too small when I use it on club runs as my winter hack and wanted to fit a 50 as my road bikes are all 53's, but I was amazed that I can keep up without struggling and by just pushing a faster cadence. And one of my training objectives this winter since October is to improve my cadence and hopefully my aerobic system by not using my large chain ring when out on any ride and only using the inner and the larger sprockets and once again found that I can keep with everyone on club rides, especcially when I am only on the 36 chain ring. But I do find this spinning a high cadence very tiring as opposed to pushing a big gear. Looking forward to March when I can get back to my old "Jan Ulrich" style of pushing big gears.

But in reality, a lot of club riders have compacts with a 50 chain ring and only a 12 sprocket as the smallest at the back.......and a 46 x 11 is a marginally bigger gear so it is understandable why its so easy to keep up.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I went into this in great detail as I wanted to put a 11 - 32 on my Focus Cayo Di2. Did all the internet research and asked at two very well respected LBS's. The answer is 'No' unless you have a long cage 'GS' rear mech. The long cage mech is 90mm between jockey wheel centres. The short cage (SS) mech is 60mm.
The cheapest way to get lower gearing on short cage Ultegra is to change one, or both, front chain rings.
I was lucky, in that the Cayo came with a long cage rear mech as standard. Phew! :smile:
PS. 46 seems a bit low for the large ring to me. I'm running 52/36.
Hes riding a standard cyclocross set-up of 46/36, so with the bigger tyres being fitted maybe 35mm it wont spin out as quickly

Which is why mountain bikers dont spin out when using a smaller top ring like a 42 or 44

Top Bottom