Ultegra 8050/8070 di2 shifter compatiblity???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marcus M

Hello guys

Can Ultegra 8050 di2 shifters run with 8070 disc as Im thinking of getting disc frame and have only to get rotors/brakes? Shimano isn't clear...do all 8000 series are changeable, don't want to buy new shifters.

Heigue'r

Veteran
They can if the new brakes are cable actuated disc brakes....they cannot if your new system is going to be hydralic which im guessing it would be as 8070 is hydralic so no,you cannot use them.

OP
OP
M

Marcus M

They can if the new brakes are cable actuated disc brakes....they cannot if your new system is going to be hydralic which im guessing it would be as 8070 is hydralic so no,you cannot use them.
So effectively I can use them, but are all disc hydraulic? There are cable disc and hydraulic disc?

I don't really know the difference if I'm honest

Could anyone clarify this, is 8070 set up principally for disc and 8050 for caliper brakes, then how does that play with the shifters?

OP
OP
M

Marcus M

Are you asking whether cable levers are compatible with hydraulic calipers?
I really don't know tby. All I fundamentally want to know is this. I have 8050 di2 ultegra. I want to go to a disc brake bike, can I take the di2 shifters over with me (without buying another pair) that's all Im fundamentally asking, sorry to be all over the shop, are 8050 and 8070 compatible, I found a website that had 8050 di2 disc ?

I really don't know tby. All I fundamentally want to know is this. I have 8050 di2 ultegra. I want to go to a disc brake bike, can I take the di2 shifters over with me (without buying another pair) that's all Im fundamentally asking, sorry to be all over the shop, are 8050 and 8070 compatible, I found a website that had 8050 di2 disc ?
Ask yourself: Does my 8050 shifters, the ones I have here in my hand, work with brake cables, or do they have hydraulic hoses?
Then the answer to your question should be obvious. If you are still unclear, someone will spell it out for you.

OP
OP
M

Marcus M

Ask yourself: Does my 8050 shifters, the ones I have here in my hand, work with brake cables, or do they have hydraulic hoses?
Then the answer to your question should be obvious. If you are still unclear, someone will spell it out for you.
Cheers, that's the clearest answer I've had. I will need new di2 shifters as the ones I have are brake use only.

Cheers, that's the clearest answer I've had. I will need new di2 shifters as the ones I have are brake use only.
You mean "cable use only"? Don't confuse yourself further. You need new shifters.

Good news is that they will be fantastic. I've just done the same and I'm not looking back, lemme tell you that. Hydraulics are so much better than cables and Di2 is fantastic.

OP
OP
M

Marcus M

Thanks, I'm not the most technical of people when understanding groupsets/gears/set ups.

Now I know I'll need a completely different groupset. I have 8050 rim brake so I need to change everything, right? Shifters/frnt-rear mechs?

Thanks, I'm not the most technical of people when understanding groupsets/gears/set ups.

Now I know I'll need a completely different groupset. I have 8050 rim brake so I need to change everything, right? Shifters/frnt-rear mechs?
You only have to change the shifters. If your front and rear mechs are already Di2, they are fine as is.

Ajax Bay

Guru
are all disc hydraulic? There are cable disc and hydraulic disc?
I don't really know the difference if I'm honest
:welcome:
Great that you come here and ask, and I hope you understand the useful answers above. I'd just recommend that if you're going to be splashing out more than a grand or two on a disc ready frame, disc wheels and hydraulic disc brakes and hydraulic Di2 STis I'd really really really want to understand the various differences, or let your LBS do this for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Globalti

Legendary Member
Is it a good idea to muddy the waters when the OP has already admitted to not knowing the difference?

Top Bottom