Ultegra Bottom Bracket comparsion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iWizKid

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie here, and got a question that hopefully not a silly one.

I've got the entry level of Special Allez 16, wanting to change the BB, but not sure if it's English or Italian thread, is there anyway of finding this out?

2ndly, I want to change it to ultegra, is there any different between 6700 and 6600 model? any recommendation of which one I should go for?? Cheers

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie here, and got a question that hopefully not a silly one.

I've got the entry level of Special Allez 16, wanting to change the BB, but not sure if it's English or Italian thread, is there anyway of finding this out?

2ndly, I want to change it to ultegra, is there any different between 6700 and 6600 model? any recommendation of which one I should go for?? Cheers

From the spec on the evans site it says Bottom Bracket: Cr-Mo axle, 68mm x 113mm

If it is 68mm then that means it is an English thread. Italian is 73 mm

I don't know the answer to question no 2 though but I am sure someone else will be along soon

OP
OP
I

iWizKid

From the spec on the evans site it says Bottom Bracket: Cr-Mo axle, 68mm x 113mm

If it is 68mm then that means it is an English thread. Italian is 73 mm

I don't know the answer to question no 2 though but I am sure someone else will be along soon

Ah, I c. Thanks!

4F

OK they other thing to consider is that the shimano 2300 is a square taper bottom bracket so you need a bottom bracket that it is compatible with your chainset otherwise you will have to replace that at the same time. I don't believe that the ultegra BB's that you mention will work.

4F

If the BB is still working then I would leave it as it is as to be honest you won't notice any difference just by replacing that part.

If it is knackered then I think the good old UN54 68 x 113 should do it which is cheap as chips on line at Chain Reaction Cycles

OP
OP
I

iWizKid

If the BB is still working then I would leave it as it is as to be honest you won't notice any difference just by replacing that part.

If it is knackered then I think the good old UN54 68 x 113 should do it which is cheap as chips on line at Chain Reaction Cycles

thanks for your suggestion,
the reason I am tempted to change it is because I recently ultegra parts bit by bit :smile:
so as for now, I've got
- 6700 chain
- 6700 cassette
- 6600 chainset
- 6700 front mech
- 6600 rear mech

If you think that ultegra BB shouldn't feel any diff to my current one then, I might not change it... :smile:
I just thought that there's a diff in performance and don't want it to hinder the other parts to achieve max enjoyment :tongue:

Oh btw, on side note, can u recommend a good old grease? cheap and nasty please :smile:

OP
OP
I

iWizKid

Well Ok if you have the rest of the bits already then you are nearly there. Just the sti shifters and a new rear wheel to go

As for grease, I use this stuff http://www.chainreac...px?ModelID=5954

Awesome! Thanks

yeah forgot to mentioned that I bought 2nd 6600 shifters as well.
but will ultegra BB perform much better?

also, i still can't find comparison of the 2 in performance and/or quality (6600 & 6700)

4F

From bottom to top in the Shimano road range it goes 2300, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace
The more you pay the lighter the components and the smoother the action.

MartinC

Über Member
I'd expect the Specialized to have an English BB shell. If the cups are marked 1.37in x 24tpi then it's a 68mm English BB shell. If they're marked 36m x 24tpi then it's an Italian 70mm BB shell. The new Ultegra 6600 cranks use external Hollowtech II bearing shells not a square taper cartridge unit.

stevevw

Guru
You will not feel any difference between 6600 and 6700 but you will from your Sq taper BB to a newer external type as used on the hollowtech cranks. The difference on my road bike between Tiagra and Dura ace was very noticable and on the race bike Dura ace to a FSA ceramic was another big jump.

OP
OP
I

iWizKid

You will not feel any difference between 6600 and 6700 but you will from your Sq taper BB to a newer external type as used on the hollowtech cranks. The difference on my road bike between Tiagra and Dura ace was very noticable and on the race bike Dura ace to a FSA ceramic was another big jump.
Hiya Stevevw...

yeah i kinda thought so too...

So, since i've already got the 6600 chainset, should I go with 6600BB or might as well go all the way to 6700BB?

Top Bottom