Ultegra Brake [disc] pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kryton521

Über Member
Hope this is in the right place. I need to replace my brake pads, [disc.] on my Domane SL6, but not sure which ones are right? I've looked at online retailers and there are at least 3 types!!! If needs be I'll take it into the LBS and pay the extra for them to do the work and get grubby fingers.

Three types? Resin, metal and ??? Perhaps finned, but then there would be four types.

Anyway, brake pads come in two broad categories, Resin and Metal. Sometimes it is called Organic and Syntered or Syntered metal.

They are not compatible. Resin pads can be used on discs suitable for Metal and Resin pads, but Metal pads cannot be used on discs which say Resin Only, usually stamped on the disc.

Further, even if your discs can work with both types, you cannot switch without an aggressive abrasive cleaning before changing.

Your best bet is to remove the pads and figure out what they are, and then get the same pads.

If you post some nice, in-focus photos here I'm sure someone will quickly tell you what to get.

OP
OP
Kryton521

Kryton521

Über Member
Three types? Resin, metal and ??? Perhaps finned, but then there would be four types.

Anyway, brake pads come in two broad categories, Resin and Metal. Sometimes it is called Organic and Syntered or Syntered metal.

They are not compatible. Resin pads can be used on discs suitable for Metal and Resin pads, but Metal pads cannot be used on discs which say Resin Only, usually stamped on the disc.

Further, even if your discs can work with both types, you cannot switch without an aggressive abrasive cleaning before changing.

Your best bet is to remove the pads and figure out what they are, and then get the same pads.

If you post some nice, in-focus photos here I'm sure someone will quickly tell you what to get.
Thanks very much. Think I will take it into LBS, I'm terrible at DIY. And really don't want to risk damage or failed brakes, I'll cycle past later.

aferris2

Guru
Take the pads out and look at the part number on the back. Assuming this is still at least partially legible (not all of mine were) this should give you a clue.

OP
OP
Kryton521

Kryton521

Über Member
I'm hoping to avoid, yet another storm by cycling this morning and I'll go into the LBS on the way past, have them look at them, book it in. I'm so bad at DIY I was banned from touching power tools, [different story] but really don't want to risk messing them up and having to go red faced to the LBS after!
Thanks all

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You can also go for the cheaper K02S resin pads, without fins, less than £8 a pair on ebay.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I gambled on a set of Clarks pads at the beginning of this winter, seem to be holding up well and a bit cheaper than the rest:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-shimano-br-rs805-br-rs505-sintered-pad/rp-prod169957

Confusingly the title says they are sintered (which I thought meant 'metallic') but the description says they are 'organic' (resin?). Anyway I'm using them to replace the original finned resin/organic Ultegra pads and don't notice any real difference, they stop (& squeal.. only in the wet though) just the same as the originals.

si_c

Guru
I gambled on a set of Clarks pads at the beginning of this winter, seem to be holding up well and a bit cheaper than the rest:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-shimano-br-rs805-br-rs505-sintered-pad/rp-prod169957

Confusingly the title says they are sintered (which I thought meant 'metallic') but the description says they are 'organic' (resin?). Anyway I'm using them to replace the original finned resin/organic Ultegra pads and don't notice any real difference, they stop (& squeal.. only in the wet though) just the same as the originals.
I tend to replace stock pads with Noah & Theo pads - they usually run about £10 for two sets. As you say they work as well as the stock Shimano ones.

If I was riding in hot conditions and descending a lot I might consider using the finned L02a pads as they are supposed to dissipate heat better and having experienced overheating brakes on an MTB last year and it wasn't fun.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I tend to replace stock pads with Noah & Theo pads - they usually run about £10 for two sets. As you say they work as well as the stock Shimano ones.

If I was riding in hot conditions and descending a lot I might consider using the finned L02a pads as they are supposed to dissipate heat better and having experienced overheating brakes on an MTB last year and it wasn't fun.
I've come across N&T pads in my previous searches for reasonably priced pads, good to know they work well and will probably give them a try when my existing pads expire.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
I hadn't realised L02A had been replaced by L03A:

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/shimano-l03a-brake-pads-resin-2679709

Good to know when mine wear out - which will be on the first of never if current weather continues. :ohmy:

I’ve just fitted 2 sets of the finned pads, the L02A Is the left side pad, the L03A the right side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom