Ultegra - how long should it last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yazzoo

I've done about 1500miles on mine, it's my 'nice' bike so it's not been out in bad weather or commuted daily etc. Just had a service and was told it needed a chain - since then its developed a noise - was fine when it went in!

Took it to a different bike shop for a second opinion and they said that cassette and big chain ring were both worn, and were surprised that the first bike shop didn't recommend a new cassette instead of/as well as the new chain.

Is this normal wear for 1500 dry miles, in about 6 months, kept regularly clean and indoors?

Drago

Legendary Member
Piece of string. I typically miller chains in 1200-1500 miles, some people manage much more. I get 2, sometimes 3 chains per cassette. I'd be surprised if it really needed a cassette, but not at all so the chain.

Ajax Bay

Guru
No, it is not normal to wear the chain ring in 1500 miles but normal for a chain (ie entirely possible) that the chain has lengthened in that distance and if you have let it go over 0.75% then it will have worn the cassette too. So when the new chain went on the cassette 'complained' - ie started skating, I expect. What is causing the 'noise'?
Be aware that Ultegra is a bit lighter and less durable than components 'lower' in the hierarchy. You do not need to use an Ultegra chain or cassette and will get more mileage out of less expensive and better value for money options (and noone can tell by looking, if that matters to you).
You may wish to consider using your small chainwheel more to avoid large to large. This may be why the large chainwheel is exhibiting signs of wear (I'm just guessing you are a 'keep it in the big ring' type of rider).

Last edited:
U

User6179

Never had less than 10000 miles on Ultegra or Tiagra Chainrings and I only change the chain at about 2500 miles , my Ultegra cassettes got changed at about 10000 miles when I put on new chain and chainrings but I think they still had a bit of mileage left in them .

You could put up a pic of the Chainring for a second opinion .

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Once the chain has worn beyond a certain point it will start to wear any sprocket out, you say the bike is kept clean but do you keep the chain well lubricated.

OP
OP
Yazzoo

Yazzoo

thanks both

@Ajax Bay I live in Suffolk, we literally have no hills so the only time I use the smaller ring is if I'm out with someone weaker and am trying to 'spin the legs'!

I'll see if I can get some pics up in a sec.

The bike was fine, no noises etc, was just a routine service where they pointed out it was approaching needing a new chain and it would be wise to do this now to prolong the life of cassette/chain rings etc. I was then offered a 105 or Ultegra chain and told they both would work exactly the same but the 105 was fractionally heavier but about £8 cheaper. Having been assured that 105 would work just as well (and possibly last longer), and with me not racing and caring about a marginal few grams I decided to go for 105 and save myself a few quid!

Since the service and new chain it's developed a click in one of the gears about the middle of the cassette (prob one I use a lot?) I 'solved' this with the barrel adjuster but this has made the hardest two gears make a worse sound than the clicking!

This is when I took it to the second bike shop and got there opinion

Danny B

I cycle in Suffolk as well but have had new 105 chains every 2000 miles. Do you cross chain a lot as I did when I first started and this was the main issue, haven got stronger on the bike I now don't have to cross chain so much and the chains are lasting longer, I have found if the chain is not cleaned regularly then it does start to make a noise on the sprockets!

OP
OP
Yazzoo

Yazzoo

Some pics attached - thanks for all your opinions, I feel out of my depth and am nervous about walking in the shop and looking like a cash machine!
IMG_7273.JPG
IMG_7268.JPG
IMG_7273.JPG
IMG_7268.JPG
IMG_7272.JPG

Ajax Bay

Guru
it's developed a click in one of the gears about the middle of the cassette (prob one I use a lot?) I 'solved' this with the barrel adjuster but this has made the hardest two gears make a worse sound than the clicking!
Doesn't sound like it's a worn cassette problem; more indexing adjustment.
The wear on the chainwheel shows you are cross chaining. Do consider chainging to your small chainwheel rather than using the largest three sprockets with your 'normal' chainring. Also consider a closer ratio cassette, if/when a replacement is needed. This would give you closer ratios (useful in Suffolk) and encourage you to use the small chainwheel as duking it out in 50/28 would be a less viable option (perhaps a 11-25).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yazzoo

Yazzoo

I cycle in Suffolk as well but have had new 105 chains every 2000 miles. Do you cross chain a lot as I did when I first started and this was the main issue, haven got stronger on the bike I now don't have to cross chain so much and the chains are lasting longer, I have found if the chain is not cleaned regularly then it does start to make a noise on the sprockets!
Hi Danny, I hadn't thought of that but will definitely give it more thought next time I'm out. To be honest it feels like I mostly use the same 5 gears in the 2nd third for everything!

U

User6179

thanks both

@Ajax Bay I live in Suffolk, we literally have no hills so the only time I use the smaller ring is if I'm out with someone weaker and am trying to 'spin the legs'!

I'll see if I can get some pics up in a sec.

The bike was fine, no noises etc, was just a routine service where they pointed out it was approaching needing a new chain and it would be wise to do this now to prolong the life of cassette/chain rings etc. I was then offered a 105 or Ultegra chain and told they both would work exactly the same but the 105 was fractionally heavier but about £8 cheaper. Having been assured that 105 would work just as well (and possibly last longer), and with me not racing and caring about a marginal few grams I decided to go for 105 and save myself a few quid!

Since the service and new chain it's developed a click in one of the gears about the middle of the cassette (prob one I use a lot?) I 'solved' this with the barrel adjuster but this has made the hardest two gears make a worse sound than the clicking!

This is when I took it to the second bike shop and got there opinion

FWIW I found no difference in wear rates between Ultegra , 105 or Tiagra chains so I just buy the cheapest now .

Top Bottom