Ultegra - how long should it last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debade

Über Member
IJust changed my original Shimano Integra at about 1800 miles. Pleasure ridding in fairly hilly CT, USA.

O thought that may have been early but verified the ' stretch' with a chain measuring tool.

New chain KLM, working fine. Old chain was working fine too but I am trying to avoid damaging the cassette.

I think the Park chain measuring tool was a good investment for me, a below average mechanic

@Yazzoo my current Ultegra chain is just short of 3,000 miles cassette a 105 that had done some 3,000 miles is back on, it previously did that mileage on a KMC chain, my current middle and outer chainrings are on just over 5,000 miles all conditions if it rains it rains and if I have to get somewhere the bike gets wet, I will try and get to measure my chain this week, a tip though many of the chain wear indicators will give an over compensated reading as they push the rollers, use a ruler over 12 links and measure the bottom part of the chain the bit tensioned by the RD if its <12 1/16" its fine, between 12 1/8 and 12 1/16" replace more than 12 1/8th chances are both cassette and chain need replacing, but don't just change it because your told its what you should do.

marcusjb

Just to add another voice to those saying that the chain ring looks absolutely fine.

Wish my drivetrain looked that clean most of the time!

It is possible to go through a chain in 1500 miles in winter, but typically I get around 2500 miles on chains. Cassettes last me 4-5 chains and chainrings, well, a long, long time. Certainly 12500-15000 miles on my audax bike's middle ring and the outer and inner rings are still as they were when I built that bike and it has done over 25000miles so far.

OP
OP
Yazzoo

Yazzoo

thanks again all, I found a friend of a friend who's very knowledgable (and not in it for money!) and took the bike to them for a third opinion! Few seconds of twiddling with the barrel adjuster and it's working good as new. He looked at chain rings and cassette and agreed they are slightly worn but not anywhere near replacing - unless i'm in the TdF or similar

Andrew_P

In between here and there
4400 miles changed chain at 2700 and that's it through all weathers and some of them in salty winter. Cable looks a bit rusty I would get that changed?

uclown2002

Guru
I have a 11 speed Ultegra set up; the bike only used in dry conditions.

3500 miles and chain is still less than 0.5% worn, so would expect to get to 4000 miles.

I never cross-chain and keep chain well maintained, i.e lubed regularly and wiped clean after each ride.

Last edited:
Top Bottom