Ultegra Shifters - What have I done wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattjg01

Regular
Just got a set of Ultegra ST6800 shifters to replace some old shifters. On install I've threaded new brake cables and gear shift cables into place, without any issues. Brakes are set up and working fine. However, the shifters don't seem to engage - I get no click from either side either to shift up or down. The fact both shifters are showing no sign of action makes me suspect I've done something wrong. I have threaded the gear cable through the small hole on the outside of the shifter, with cable seated as per the attached picture.

Any suggestions for what might be going wrong gratefully received.

IMG_0150.jpg

alicat

Legendary Member
Do they click with the cables disconnected?

Alex321

Veteran
That cable doesn't look to be seated correctly. The end piece should be entirely below the surface.

Once you get to the end of the cable, it needs to be fed into the large hole, not the narrower channel below that.

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You need to pull the cables through from the derailleur end (with a plier) so they seat properly. Then all will be well.

Just watch @Big John ’s video.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
What @alicat said.

Venod

Eh up
Pull the cable back out and operate the shifter, if you look close at the mechanism you will see the barrel that moves the cable, your cable needs to be seated in the recess provided for it on the circumference of the barrel, from your pic it's not seated anywhere and you may have put it through the wrong hole.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Do they click with the cables disconnected?

this, take the cable out and see if they click up and down. If not they are knackered, they only last hope is a big spray of GT85.

If they work then set about threading the properly which can only be done with the shifter in its "smallest cog/ring" position, i.e clcik the little lever on both until it clicks no more, then look for the hole to thread it into.

Into conjecture now, but you may well have tried to thread it midway through its travel, and the incorrectly located cable is blocking the shift action.

alicat

Legendary Member
One last thought since we haven't seen @mattjg01 since yesterday. I've found Shimano's Technical Service Manual to be very useful. When all else fails, rtfm. Print off and tick off step by step. Don't forget to put the hyphen in "ST6800" when you google it.

Reactions: C R

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I wonder if the shifter was not on the lowest setting before attaching the cable, so there is no where for the lever to pull the cable.

OP
OP
M

mattjg01

Regular
Thanks all for some great responses. Been busy all day but now about to have a go at reseating the cables 🤞

Top Bottom