ultegra V.S dura ace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
am looking at saving the pennies to treat her to a ultegra or dura ace front mech and after that maybe the brakes
i believe the dura ace is the better of the 2? is it really worth spending that much more on the dura ace over the ultegra? considering i am no pro! and am not racing
the mech needs to cover 3 chainrings
is it that much better than say the cheaper 105?
oh and here i am talking all standard plain mechanical no leccy :sad:
Cheers Ed

AndyPeace

I don't see what you will gain replacing your front mech? If your not racing the split second you will gain from having more positive shifting will be wasted.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
I don't see what you will gain replacing your front mech? If your not racing the split second you will gain from having more positive shifting will be wasted.
current one is on shelf due to many many hrs of fiddling and it will never run great all the way through every gear combination and ultegra or durace will shift smoother and better
Cheers Ed

FYI, Ultegra is the last generation Dura Ace, 105 is the last generation Ultegra, Tiagra is the old 105, etc, etc, etc,

It's called the trickle down effect. If you can afford to buy DA and are happy to do so, fill your boots. If not then buy Ultegra, 105 or even Tiagra.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
FYI, Ultegra is the last generation Dura Ace, 105 is the last generation Ultegra, Tiagra is the old 105, etc, etc, etc,

It's called the trickle down effect. If you can afford to buy DA and are happy to do so, fill your boots. If not then buy Ultegra, 105 or even Tiagra.
i see so rather then ditch the last gen they introduce the new gen and then call the last gen a lower name
so DA is the very latest newest stuff and then the ultegra is just the re named DA from last gen? in that case i may well get the ultegra as it is the best i can afford and as they say buy the best you can afford!
Cheers Ed

AndyPeace

current one is on shelf due to many many hrs of fiddling and it will never run great all the way through every gear combination and ultegra or durace will shift smoother and better
Cheers Ed
Is the current shelved one new? I only ask as if your having problems fitting that one you may have the same problems fitting a 105/ultegra/dura-ace. They only shift as well as you fit them

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Is the current shelved one new? I only ask as if your having problems fitting that one you may have the same problems fitting a 105/ultegra/dura-ace. They only shift as well as you fit them
no it was on bike when i bought it off ebay so could have a drive side crash or knock or drop with him for all i know!
Cheers Ed

i see so rather then ditch the last gen they introduce the new gen and then call the last gen a lower name
so DA is the very latest newest stuff and then the Ultegra is just the re named DA from last gen?
In a nutshell, yup :thumbsup:

AndyPeace

If you're really serious about your biking Ed, buy the best you can afford at the time mate.
I'd agree with this if we were talking about a frameset but a front derailier? I've got a 105 front derailier on my Madone, I can't imagine what benifit a higher level derailier would give, without upgrading the whole groupset and fitting it to a good standard. Buying the best whilst still learning basic maintenince is perphaps not the best idea, but then it is only a front derailier.

Generally yes, although the 105 5700 version which is the first 105 with all concealed cables has a very convoluted way to connect up the gear cables which is a real pain, and is totally different from the Dura Ace 7900 which was the equivalent first model with all concealed cabling, which is so much simpler to install.

For buying new equipment, unless you've got money to burn, 105 is very good. Having used 105, Ultegra and Dura-Ace on a variety of bikes in the last few years, there's a bit of a leap in quality and smoothness going from 105 to Ultegra, but nothing really discernible between Ultegra and Dura-Ace.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I'd agree with this if we were talking about a frameset but a front derailier? I've got a 105 front derailier on my Madone, I can't imagine what benifit a higher level derailier would give, without upgrading the whole groupset and fitting it to a good standard. Buying the best whilst still learning basic maintenince is perphaps not the best idea, but then it is only a front derailier.
You are right of course. But I was generalising.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
I think I use my FD once a month on average. Sram Rival works adequately for this operation as does Ultegra.
true i hardly use my front derailler so maybe not worth up grading to something really good at least not this bike probably better to upgrade BB (something i will do soon) or wheels or just the whole bike! :biggrin:

as just said due to not being MR Money :sad: i will focus on upgrading more important bits first rather than bits i use a few times a year!
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom