Ultimate cycle tour: France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
The book which had the greatest influence was Cycling in Europe, by Nick Crane. The chapter on France occupies 32 pages, and I think achieved, in its time, something broadly comparable to what you're seeking to do.

Thank you. I'll try to find it. An admittedly quick search didn't turn up a description. Is the route based on the collective experience/advice of others, and is it a travelogue, guide, both or neither?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thank you. I'll try to find it. An admittedly quick search didn't turn up a description. Is the route based on the collective experience/advice of others, and is it a travelogue, guide, both or neither?
There is an extensive list of acknowledgements, some of whom are names I recognise from the world of cycletouring at the time. The book reads like one person's knowledge and experience, but clearly it draws on a wide variety of trusted sources.

There is an outline sample tour for each featured country, presented as a list of a places to pass through with a running kilometre count. That's a comparatively minor part of the content though. It's mostly about communicating the joy of exploring by bike, and while it has you entertained it passes on a wealth of serious knowledge and experience as well.

When I read what you're planning, it struck a chord because it sounds as though you're trying to take the reader to a similar place.

My books are on there because they're relevant to the subject matter, the website doesn't run for free and I'm allergic to starvation.
And your books are excellent. I'd recommend them to anyone, especially cchat folk.

I think your latest initiative, and the post, entirely legitimate.

Note to the terminally cynical - i don't know the OP, never met, no connection to, apart from being from the same bit of the country.

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
There is an extensive list of acknowledgements...The book reads like one person's knowledge and experience, but clearly it draws on a wide variety of trusted sources. There is an outline sample tour for each featured country...When I read what you're planning, it struck a chord because it sounds as though you're trying to take the reader to a similar place.

Yes, you're right. I'll get myself a second-hand copy as soon as I can. Thank you for drawing my attention to it.

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
I've thought of a couple of things, PM you or what?

Sorry for delay. I was travelling the last couple of days. Yes, PM please, or via email steven@primrose-smith.com.

Sorry for delay. I was travelling the last couple of days. Yes, PM please, or via email steven@primrose-smith.com.
I've enjoyed some of your books.
Ooh, that sounds mean, I mean I've enjoyed the ones I read ^_^
On topic, for anyone doing the Velodyssey along the French Atlantic coast to visit the massive sand dunes.

To really enjoy it, climb to the top, enjoy the view then run down to your campsite below! If ever there was a way of reconnecting with your inner child that is it! ^_^

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
I've enjoyed some of your books.
Ooh, that sounds mean, I mean I've enjoyed the ones I read ^_^

Thank you, Hobbes, and thanks for the clarification. ^_^

On topic, for anyone doing the Velodyssey along the French Atlantic coast to visit the massive sand dunes.
To really enjoy it, climb to the top, enjoy the view then run down to your campsite below! If ever there was a way of reconnecting with your inner child that is it! ^_^

Perfect! That's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for - one-off, unique, special places. I'll add it to my list.

Top Bottom