Ultimate drivetrain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
I feel an urge to upgrade my drive train. I need a new chain anyway and I don't like it at the moment as it often feels rough and clanky, the chain wont stay taught and the rear track nuts are chewed to buggery.

I am looking at Hubjub at the moment but I need more inspiration. What will work and what won't?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Money no object, I'd probably go for...

- Royce hubs with allen bolts
- Phil Wood sprocket
- Old style (fluted) Campy Record Pista cranks
- Custom machined Egg-Ring
- HKK Vertex chain in blingy gold

Given my less-than-godly approach to bike cleanliness, the Fixed-Gear Authorities would then have to take my bike into protective custody...

Dave5N

Über Member
domtyler said:
I feel an urge to upgrade my drive train. I need a new chain anyway and I don't like it at the moment as it often feels rough and clanky, the chain wont stay taught and the rear track nuts are chewed to buggery.

I am looking at Hubjub at the moment but I need more inspiration. What will work and what won't?

Personally, I blame the teacher... :rolleyes:

Landslide said:

- Phil Wood sprocket

Given my less-than-godly approach to bike cleanliness, the Fixed-Gear Authorities would then have to take my bike into protective custody...

Nice! :smile:

bonj2

domtyler said:

you wouldn't have these problems if you had a mech.

Pottsy

bonj said:
you wouldn't have these problems if you had a mech.

Very helpful bonj, why don't you pi55 off to another part of the forum where you've got some experience of what you're talking about, or isn't there anywhere where that applies?

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Landslide said:

- Phil Wood sprocket

Thanks Landslide, it is undoubtedly a fine selection you've put together for me thanks.

The problem I am having is sourcing some of these items, for example the HKK chain is impossible!

Would this one be a decent enough substitute do you reckon?

http://www.hubjub.co.uk/njs/didzm.htm

Landslide

Rare Migrant
domtyler said:
Would this one be a decent enough substitute do you reckon?

http://www.hubjub.co.uk/njs/didzm.htm

No direct experience I'm afraid, but it seems to have a decent rep. TBH, I only really picked on the Vertex because of the extra bling factor!:biggrin: In the real world I've been running a Miche chain on my fixed with no problems. They're cheap enough to treat as disposable, thus saving on sprockets and chainrings wearing out quickly because of a knackered chain.

ASC1951

Guru
Pottsy said:
Very helpful bonj, why don't you pi55 off to another part of the forum where you've got some experience of what you're talking about,
I think they were rude to him there as well, Pottsy.

I always find bonj's contributions enlivening, even when they are total Horlicks.

Top Bottom